Help with wiring 2 motors with a DPDT switch

quark mass

Joined Jun 18, 2013
Hello, I am new to this, so I hope I am following all rules correctly. I hope to wire 2 leslie 2-speed tremolo speaker units in such a fashion that would allow me to operate them with a foot switch (or foot switches, if necessary). These units are rotosonics (circa 1960's) and they actually spin a drum containing a speaker at 2 different speeds using two different ac motors. I believe they are single-phase, since they have only two wires running to each motor. I have wired each one with a toggle switch that lets me select which motor/speed I want with off in the middle. This works fine, but I want to go a step further and use a treadle switch {on (mom) - off - on (mom)} so that I can change speeds during a song without using my hands (I will be playing a guitar). I recently bought a pair of these treadle switches with the following description: Metal case, Rocker action Medium duty foot switch for industrial use. Momentary in either direction, spring return to center OFF. Contacts: DPDT Mom-Off-Mom380VAC/220DC @ 5A. The wiring diagram is also attached. Everything I can find concerning DPDT switches and ac motors concerns reversing the motor direction (something I may want to do later, but not now). I would prefer to be able to control these two sets of motors independently so that I could have the two units spinning at different rates simultaneously, if possible. It seems to me that I should be able to somehow accomplish this with these two treadle DPDT switches, but I don't want to trial and error with 120 volt ac. Using the attached info, could anyone help me to accomplish this by instructing me on wiring these up? Thanks in advance. And if I am totally off base on my thinking here in any way, I gladly accept constructive criticism.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I had a couple of keyboardists, with 2 Leslies in the 60s. Humongous cabinets to haul around, gig to gig...not to mention their Hammond B-3s.

One of the finest, musical instrument combinations, in history.

The switch you are showing looks like the foot-switches we used for the large, megaton, punch presses; in metalworking factories.

Way overkill for two Leslies.

I'm sure someone here will advise you in a better choice.;)

quark mass

Joined Jun 18, 2013
Thanks. Yes, these leslies were removed from junked organs. One came from a Gulbransen and the other from a Lowery. I just have the "guts" of the leslies - they reside in a wooden boxes about 20 inches square and weigh maybe 20 lbs each. I found those treadle switches online - the only ones that seemed to have the right connections, but I am sure there are folks here who could help me find more appropriate ones. I appreciate the feedback.

quark mass

Joined Jun 18, 2013
Never mind. I have an engineer friend who has helped me with wiring the switch. Thanks anyway. You can close the thread or whatever. Sorry to have troubled you.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Gee, wish I had an engineer to help me. Or maybe not, that may get me fired.

No trouble... glad to see you get it to work.