Help with Treadmill motor. what did i break and how to make it run as a powertool

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Haha its great, yeah i do appoligise for my spelling and grammar its not my strong point, my nickname as you see on youtube is typo lol :p saved my life spelling wrong before lol but thats another story,
Yeah all i want to do is learn and improve myself i love craft and making things,
Guess my next projects to open this motor and looks for any brushes,
Im quiet good at opening things and fixing them , figuring things out, i just dont know electric sowell and being this is high watt and powerful id lkike to get it right not get injured,

Unlike most though i love salt so im not put off by banter, ;) just used to seeing negative nellys boot newbs off forums instead of remembering where they were onceuponatime.
Hard to see the emotion in text lol good to know youre still reading after my extreme test to ones mental abilities ..did yuo konw if teh wrods strart adn edn teh smae we cna stik mkae secnse cuase our brians are awsmoe ..lol xD old fb share sure u seen this lol

Thanks to you ive learnt the vac rule and why it exists, questioning your reply that baffled ande helped me to understand alot and keep me safe, il report back when i fijnd out what the motor is

Careful now. very few people go online to exercise their brains so you may catch hell because you made someone have to think a bit. For many, thinking it's way to hard and the take great offence to having been forced to do it.
And if they would have had to to read or do a tiny bit of online searching to figure out what you are working with, OMG, much irrelevant speculation and butt hurtedness cometh over the horizon. :(

You'll be fine here. ;)

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Hahaha glad to know cause my heads spinning with ideas and googles always been my number one friend , 4am bed is common for me going nuts planning things out n reading , hectic...i love it

As the motor though, its sealed i took bolts off what i thaught and it was just a brace for it lol,
Totaly sealed but im unskrewing the end now as ive found a hole i might be able to peer through

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Take another look at my last post!!, #20 by the info and the video it appears as a brushed motor and if AC then it IS Universal.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Take another look at my last post!!, #20 by the info and the video it appears as a brushed motor and if AC then it IS Universal.
You might want to rewatch the video and look at the pictures closer. :rolleyes:

I clearly see a motor with red and black wires which are common color coding for DC only motors plus in his video starting at ~40 seconds in he shows the actual speed controller module which says right on it 0 - 230 VDC out.

Brushed motor, yes . Universal AC, no.

I would speculate that its also a permanent magnet type as well which The Dude can easily confirm for us by shorting the red and black wires together while spinning it. If it produces drag when shorted it's a PM motor. If not it's obviously not. ;)

Also given the fact he has main speed controller module still intact I would say there is a fair change that it could very well be reused to run the motor. All He needs to do is figure out how it was controlled from the other board. More than likely it either uses a simple variable DC voltage input or a potentiometer.

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Haha sorry gettin lost in all this lol, i was sure you wanted me to double check,
To witch theres no way in lol does this help i eventualy found a parts manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/849930/Reebok-Rev-10301.html?page=7#manual

As to tek and max asked #20 which i missed sorry dude, the plugs dont reach on wire due to plastic covering, so i used a black wire to connect

Yeah i tryed to inclue the relevant components i had in the video as i knew they would mean somthing to you
Here is better quality and the test asked for

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes it appears to be a P.M. motor if you had braking effect, it may not be so obvious because of the flywheel, so you need a rectified controller whether going with one of the KB etc or if going the Triac type route, you need a bridge rectifier.
Max.

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
awsome bro! thanks somuch, so i have a Permement Magnetic Brush DC? motor 2HP 4800RPM . 1500w 230vac

. Universal AC, no.

main speed controller module still intact I would say there is a fair change that it could very well be reused to run the motor. All He needs to do is figure out how it was controlled from the other board.
and ur saying this board on the metal plate is the controller board... whats the yellow bit ive broke? isnt it going to be hard to replace (for me at least haha) i can understand all the wires and most the parts are probably to do with the control and function of the treadmill... i hoping. It seems like an Easyer mission to make or get a new controller dimm?

you need a rectified controller whether going with one of the KB etc or if going the Triac type route, you need a bridge rectifier.
Max.
im lookin at rectified controllers and there all different shapes sizes and numbers ive never seen, ones a triac 600v?? assuming im not ''over my head'' :p id think this is not a vac rating , but a voltage? wondering if you can direct me to what kind of spec im searching for?again i dont want you to search :) if i know what im hunting for il do the work lol and you can correct me :) unless its a no brainer for you, this is like a whole new language im learning, lol totaly different from fixing the tv's poped catacitors :p

same to the bridge rectifier lol im sure i threw something looking similar to one of these outside with the wires, not sure il have a look in the morning.

ps...think thats my first ever spell check at 27 ! geeze u guys turning me into a posh typo now :p
ive been reading and if the motor is DC do i need a rectified controller? it says onlien there to convert the ac to dc? if its dc already i cant convert it? i think i got something wrong or im missing something here now lol :S im sorry bro

i found a DC and AC motor controller?
https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/cebek-r-10-230v-ac-motor-speed-controller-module-1500-watt ac motorhas vac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-DC-...401882?hash=item2114b6241a:g:wsYAAOSw6n5Xq2b7 dc motor (says 50volt though no vac?)

any good? :S ( i think looking at others projects its definatly DC cause the ac motors look totaly different to the DC ones, )
also i find most reebok seem to be dc this is mounted and almost identical to mine
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2320...=1006735&device=c&campaignid=628893806&crdt=0

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
and ur saying this board on the metal plate is the controller board... whats the yellow bit ive broke?
Yes the board with the metal heat sink is the actual motor driver board. That one does all the work in controlling the main motor speed. With some wiring harness back tracing you should be able to figure out what connections were the AC input and the DC output and what remaining connections were to power other parts of the control system.

From what I can see of the broken board it's likely the lift actuator control board for the adjustable incline on your treadmill. No big loss on smashing that.;)

As for you linked items most any universal motor controller will work with your motor. At worst you would just need to take the large bridge rectifier (top right square block screwed to the heat sink with four tabs soldered to the bottom of the board) off your old motor control board and use that to convert the AC output to the need DC for the motor.

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Yes the board with the metal heat sink is the actual motor driver board. That one does all the work in controlling the main motor speed. With some wiring harness back tracing you should be able to figure out what connections were the AC input and the DC output and what remaining connections were to power other parts of the control system.

From what I can see of the broken board it's likely the lift actuator control board for the adjustable incline on your treadmill. No big loss on smashing that.;)

As for you linked items most any universal motor controller will work with your motor. At worst you would just need to take the large bridge rectifier (top right square block screwed to the heat sink with four tabs soldered to the bottom of the board) off your old motor control board and use that to convert the AC output to the need DC for the motor.
Found the rectifier, not welded only thermal pasted and loose lol . so this rectifier and then it doesnt matter if its ac or dc motor ? Im guessing dc as it says brush magnetic motors just rectifier confusing me.. Says its to make an ac into dc online but its a dcmotor so why the need for rectifier is it to conver the dc back to ac for the wall outlet ?

Last edited:

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Thanks dave ive had a read and a look, notsure its english enough for me,
Could you be kind enough to translate what it is ?

Am i correct to think its,
Dc motor,>>>bridge rectifier off the old unit>>>>dc brush motor linked>>>>13a plug

Or is more involved , im guessing all the wiggles on your pic are resistors that will be in my motor controller

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes its basically a light dimmer in series with the bridge rectifier, the motor is the load, because its a DC motor the bridge rectifier is necessary to give the motor direction, just reverse the motor wires to reverse direction.

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
And now we are back to what I suggested in post 3. :oops:
awsome! least we got a definate on the motor :) respect,.

in post 3 you mension a capacitor and a bridge reflector? would the capacitor be in the controller
where does the rated current and volt come in? or how do i figure themout
the capacitore you say is 100-250uf, does it matter that on the controller board it has a 450-470 capacitor? or that due to other load ie lif etc

Features:
Wide range of operating voltage: 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V, 50V. Max. power: 1500W.
Speed controller for DC brush motors.
Metal case with durable feature.
Buit-in 30A ceramic fuse for safety.
With 200mm white cable, rotatable knob for turning ON/OFF and controlling the motor speed.

Specifications:
Operating Voltage: DC 12V-50V
Rated Current: 30A
Control Power: Max. 1500W
Speed Control Range: 0% - 100%
PWM Frequency: 21KHz
Dimension: Approx. 110 x 76 x 35mm

Note:
1. This speed controller is designed for DC brush motor, not for DC brushless motor, and it can't be used as voltage regulator.
2. It should be connected to DC voltage power supply, don't connect to AC voltage power supply.
3. P +, P- for connecting to Power; M +, M- for connecting to Motor.
4. The positive and negative pole of DC power cannot be connected reversely, otherwise the controller may be damaged.
5. The running direction of the motor can change by adjusting the linear order.
6. Potentiometer switch can adjust the motor speed by changing the output duty.

Package includes:
1 x DC Motor Speed Controller

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The capacitor is in parallel with the motor. It's mostly just to smooth out the voltage ripple and commutation electrical noise from the rectified AC and brushes on the spinning armature. Many people don't even use them but I have always like to have bit of capacitance on the motor just to filter out the ripple resulting torque jitter it causes.

It's optional. Same with the value. Whatever you have on the original control board will be fine.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
awsome! least we got a definate on the motor :) respect,.

Features:
Wide range of operating voltage: 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V, 50V. Max. power: 1500W.
Speed controller for DC brush motors.
Metal case with durable feature.
Buit-in 30A ceramic fuse for safety.
With 200mm white cable, rotatable knob for turning ON/OFF and controlling the motor speed.
PWM Controller Etc, Etc
So What has this got to do with it if you intend using a Triac controller for this motor?
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I think he'd have more "fun" with the variac in the long run. Lots of uses for those by aspiring electro-tinkers.
:)
I gotta admit in my life I have had way more fun with old light dimmers and power tool speed control trigger units than I probably should have. :p

TheDudes Back

Joined Oct 18, 2016
So What has this got to do with it if you intend using a Triac controller for this motor?
Max.
Totaly forgot to inclue controller in my search matched up the motor
This says it has a triac...is it suited? Its universal so ac or dc i guess..but single phase , will this be a single or they go up to 3phase too

speed regulator for 230Vac, single-phase, universal motors. Typical applications include power drills, vacuum cleaners, etc. but will not accept inductive loads.
  • Load output: 50-1500W
  • Output: triac
  • Minimum operating voltage: 90V
  • Dimensions (WxHxD): 60x40x55mm
http://cpc.farnell.com/cebek/r-10/230v-motor-speed-controller-1500w/dp/HK00472

Edit:
look what ive found lol if the number on the front is the model, here it is
http://www.partsfortreadmill.com/index.php/greenmaster-industrial-corp-b1h-220v.html

im guessing b1h 220v is this items as not alot shows up.. and it looks same..
as if i use the other code..b1f051 i get loads of makes with the code on them, but not any have b1h?

Last edited: