Help with This circuit (H-Bridge 1ph full wave inverter)

Ahmed Waleed

Joined Mar 4, 2008
I'm in Electrical Power and Machines department in my college, so my project must be related to it.
my main project is Multi-Level Inverter and it's used for traction loads and HV linking between different frequency electric girds between countries.
So, this simple circuit (which for me is a huge problem) is the 1st step to do it.
I'm not only allowed to do it, I'm forced.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I'm in Power and Machines department in my college, so my project must be related to it.
my main project is Multi-Level Inverter and it's used for traction loads and HV linking between different frequency electric girds between countries.
So, this simple circuit (which for me is a huge problem) is the 1st step to do it.
I'm not only allowed to do it, I'm forced.
If this is the case then you must use a 12V or maybe higher voltage battery (i think they will equip cars with 48V batteries to save copper used for wires) with a transformer.

Ahmed Waleed

Joined Mar 4, 2008
If this is the case then you must use a 12V or maybe higher voltage battery (i think they will equip cars with 48V batteries to save copper used for wires) with a transformer.
yes you're right and these batteries provide very high current rating.

I looked for MOSFET driver IC and I found IR2101 and IR2102, will it do the work?

Ahmed Waleed

Joined Mar 4, 2008
I'm sorry I have to leave now, I have to wake up early
Thanks for your help and I hope to have a good conversation with you soon

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I see now what you are trying to accomplish, a 1 phase inverter, but with 300A p-p output with 800V p-p voltages.

Going conservative with RMS/mean, we are still in the > 100kW range of power.

Suggestion: Start with a 12V to 120V, 300W inverter under CPU Control for load. Building that/having it working, and tweaking smaller loads will be 100% useful for the main project as well.

Analogy: It looks like you've been taking single engine aircraft flight lessons, and want to take an Airbus 320 up for your qualifying solo flight.

Ahmed Waleed

Joined Mar 4, 2008
Hi all, hi mik3

Here's the final circuit and it gives an output AC voltage 10 v on the AC voltmeter.
the input pulse frequency is 244 Hz on 50% duty cycle with pulse high value 5v, does it affects the output voltage?
I found that the BAT2 is affecting the output voltage but I don't know why?
Do i need a heat sink for MOSFETs in this case?
But the important question is, do you think it'll work for real?

Attachments

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
First, Bat2 should affect the output voltage.

Second, remove the ground between Q3 and Q5 and place it on the source of Q5.

Third, you will a MOS driver to be able to turn on Q3 and Q4 unless you use p-channel ones.If you use a MOS driver for all MOS it will improve the switching time of the MOS and reduce losses.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I didn't knew that the MOS needs 10v to fully turn on
The datasheet explains it. Didn't you look at it?
Some people see the "typical gate threshold voltage" but some Mosfets are good and some are not so good. The guaranteed minimum current at the threshold voltage is only 0.25mA.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
The datasheet explains it. Didn't you look at it?
Some people see the "typical gate threshold voltage" but some Mosfets are good and some are not so good. The guaranteed minimum current at the threshold voltage is only 0.25mA.
Good point Audioguru. That is one reason to use a proper driver for MOSFETs which will drive then fully on.