help with the solar panel project

bestofalis

Joined Nov 8, 2010
Hi,
I am an undergrad working on my senior design project. My team has decided to do panel by panel monitoring. And there are 12 panels altogether. So my question is, how do I connect the current sensor from each panel to the controller or have the current sensor on the bread board next to the microcontroller. We have picked a PIC 18 series MC. I am a little confused how to do all that. If someone can show me how to connect the Current sensor to PIC along with the ADC, and then finally the output wirelessly to a computer.
Since I am still a student, I don't know much about the connectivity. Please help.
Thanks

Terp

Joined Jun 6, 2008
Hi.

Is it at all possible to switch between microcontrollers? I have recently started to learn Arduino modules at school, and these are really great if it's your first time working with microcontrollers. Built-in 10-bit ADC.

I am currently working with wireless transmission of analog data (temperature data collected by a temperature sensor) myself. I'm using Xbee wireless comm. module.

I highly recommend Arduino that is, if it is feasible for your team to switch at this point, ofcourse. The link: http://www.arduino.cc/

But if you want to stick to PIC, I think we could help a little more if you posted the current sensor that you're looking at, the communication protocol used by the MC (I believe most of it is serial, but I am new to this field as well), and the wireless transmitter-receiver module that you plan to use, if any.

Hope that helps.

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
In defense of the PIC 18F there are many excellent compiler options with free student editions from ASM, Swordfish BASIC & C18

Sorry can't help with the current sensor.

bestofalis

Joined Nov 8, 2010
We are using Current sensor : CSA1V.
And the Microcontroller is PIC 18 series.
I realized I have to put an op amp to right at the panel.
All of it is really confusing.
Please help.