Help with test system

rezvisquikz

Joined Jun 9, 2016
I need to test a piece of wire by passing 1A(AC or DC), for 42 days straight non-stop.

I have chosen to pass 1A(AC) using a variac. The specification of the variac is given Vp-240v, Vs-250V(max) Is-5A(max) & 1.25kVA.

Loads available to use 3x100W & 1x60W lighbulbs, I hope this can be used as loads.

Can anyone kindly use calculation method to deduce how I can achieve 1A.

Thanks in advance.

Can't. The light bulb is a current dependent resistor.

Use an ammeter and leave it in the circuit.

Use a fixed resistor. Check the effect of the wire length/resistivity. e.g. R=pL/A

rezvisquikz

Joined Jun 9, 2016

Use a fixed resistor. Check the effect of the wire length/resistivity. e.g. R=pL/A
Can I use resistor 'ARSOL HS50'? I wanted to use the resistors earlier but was scared if they were going to get very warm.

1 Amp at 6V is 6 W.
Two 5W identical resistors in parallel is 10 W.

R=6/1, so 6 ohms, So two 12 ohm 5W resistors in parallel will work at 6 V IF the resistance of the "wire resistance" is much less than the resistor.

rezvisquikz

Joined Jun 9, 2016
Ok, I have found some ARCOL HS50 1kohm resistors. I soldered 5 of them in parallel giving 200 ohms. Each of these are 50W resistors.

What voltage should I apply using the Variac. So confused :(:( I am just worried that 1A through the resistors will run for 42 days and it can damage the resistors ?

Nice numbers: V= IR or 1*200 or 200 V
P = (I^2)*R so P = 1 * 200 or 200 Watts.

Since the resistors are all the same and there are 5 of them, they should dissipate 200/5 Watts each or 40 Watts each. You have a 50 W resistor. That's about 20% more than the resistor can handle, so you should be OK.

200 W is not the best use of power, though. Let you figure out Killo-Watt-Hours for 42 Days.
If you were able to use 1 amp at 1V, that's 1W for 42 Days.

So, you have the following variables to work with:
1) Electricity costs
2) Specific values/wattages of resistors and availability
3) A maximum voltage
4) You also have a voltage step-size because of the transformerVariac.
5) 1 Amp is a given
6) Will there be any resistance temperature changes? Will you need a current regulator?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If your goal is to pass "1 amp through a wire" you could use a 6 or 12 Volt power transformer powered from your variac.
This will make things cooler-safer-better.

Connect a 1 ohm 5 W resistor in series with the wire, connect this to the secondary of the transformer.
Connect primary of the transformer to the variac, now dial in 1 Volt across the resistor - voila! you have 1 amp.
This setup will burn 1 watt of power and you won't get electrocuted messing with the non isolated output of the variac.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm puzzled as to why you want to test a piece of wire :confused:. What are you expecting it to do or not do? And why 42 days? Is this a Hitchhiker's Guide project? :).

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I need to test a piece of wire by passing 1A(AC or DC), for 42 days straight non-stop.

I have chosen to pass 1A(AC) using a variac. The specification of the variac is given Vp-240v, Vs-250V(max) Is-5A(max) & 1.25kVA.

Loads available to use 3x100W & 1x60W lighbulbs, I hope this can be used as loads.

Can anyone kindly use calculation method to deduce how I can achieve 1A.

Thanks in advance.
1 Amp at any particular voltage?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You are wasting your time, unless all you want is to verify the wire current. And for that all you need is a current source. It will tell you nothing about how the wire preforms in an environment, or under stress.

For that you need to consider both voltage and temperature range. And that would still just be basic.

Will the wire be moving? Is the wire close to other conductors?

There are many, many other considerations. I can't imagine a real test without specs.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

Bulbs very loosely approximate to a constant current - as long as you don't mind the turn on surge.

They're not very precise - but more stable than fixed resistors if the VAC tends to vary.

The simplest electronic way is to put a DC constant current circuit across the + & - terminals of a bridge rectifier, and put the AC terminals in series with the load.