Help with Stepper motor and Control

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mopar_Mudder, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mopar_Mudder

Thread Starter Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I am completely new to motor controls so forgive me if it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about, because I probably don't ;)

I need a motor to control something that I am building. I need to be able to control it with an IR remote. I need to have 7 programmed positions in it that can be called up by the remote. Hit a button on the remote and it goes to the preprogrammed position, so it needs to know where it is starting from.

Also if possible I would like it to have some sort of speed control when starting and stopping. So it would ramp up to full RPM when starting and ramps down when stopping.

To give you and idea I am using a hacked and modified TV antenna rotor to do this now.

Specs the motor needs to meet:
    20 RPM Max
    50 pound inch of torque (min)
    Needs to beable to hold 15 pound inch of force when not running

Seems like a gear motor would be a good choice but don't know if a stepper gear motor is a common thing. Other wise a gear motor with a position control would be another option. I could put the parts that I took out of the rotor control on to a gear motor and make it would but I was looking for a little more elegant solution.

Any ideas to get me going in the right direction would great.

2. Mopar_Mudder

Thread Starter Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I didn't see an edit option to edit my original post but I had another thought.

I could have the motor controlled by a PC and the PC recieves IR commands that could possibly control the program running the motor.