help with spdt stomp switch pinouts

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Videodrome, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Videodrome

Thread Starter Member

Nov 12, 2009

I’m needing to replace an old carling SPDT stomp switch in a guitar pedal with one in a different package and i’m having trouble discerning the pinout between the two. My lack of knowledge into knowing what it could be based off whats going back to the circuit board doesn’t help either. Could someone tell me if my assumption is correct based off the diagram below and if i’m wrong, could point me in the right direction as to whats what (a carling spdt datasheet would be a huge help as I can't seem to find one anywhere.) huge thanks in advance.

2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    I think that 1A goes into center tap,2A on on left tap and 3A in right one.
  3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    If that doesn't work, try one of these from Amplified Parts.
    P-H492 looks like a drop-in.
    Another source for instrument parts is AllParts.. and of course, Amazon if you know what you want.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Looks like on the original switch, 1.a is the common terminal; when 2.a is selected the signal goes straight through the pedal, when 3.a is selected the signal is modified by the pedal.

Without a part number so that I can look at a datasheet, I'd guess that 1.b is the common on the new switch, and that when you press the switch it either alternates between 2.b and 3.b, or momentarily changes from one to the other.

Failing that, I'd say that JohnInTX has found a great replacement for you with the P-H492.
  5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Do you have a multimeter? That could be used to check which terminal does what on the new switch.