Help with sound amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Emerican_360, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Emerican_360

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2007

I'm just starting out with electronics and I've found this diagram of a battery powered sound amp. I thought this would be a cool project to do for my guitar. I'm only in grade 9 and I've learnt about ohms law. I can read switches and resisters off a circuit. Other than that I'm stuck!

Please could someone help me with the layout of the circuit and tell me what are the exact parts that I will need.

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    The circuit is built around an "LM386 low voltage audio power amplifier." You can read about the chip here:

This is really just an "operational amplifier" optimized for a given task. You can read about operational amplifiers here:

In addition to resistors, the only other components in the circuit are capacitors. Learning about capacitors takes a little more effort than learning about resistors. See both of the following:
    and then

You'll should also begin learning how to solder.
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    This could be somewhat difficult if you don't have the means to make a printed circuit board. An alternative would be to go to and get a bus strip to breadboard the circuit on. Their #WB-102-1+J is only $6.49. They have small parts, too.
  4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    The 386 or any audio amp capable of driving real speakers is similar to but not the same as an operational amplifier.

Look here to find a fully worked out project using a 386 from a 9 volt battery.