Help with solving circuits

clyrics

Joined Apr 11, 2010
i have never solved a circuit with diagonal node. .89 ohm on top, 1 ohm on right, 4 ohm on bottom, 2 ohm in middle and 10 volts on left. plus i have to solve using KVL and KCL. i have only found for multiple volts not one. any help would be appreciated. I did redraw the circuit to be parallel-series and got total as 2.01 as current. like i said the teacher said find by using KVL, totally lost.

put this together for the site along with http of course

yfrog.com
/140409001802j

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Why not posting the schematic over here?
you can use the "manage attachments" button to add pictures and files to the post.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have moved your post to the Home Work Help section.

I have redrawn your schematic as it was very fuzzy using paint:

The 2.01 A for the total current is correct.
With this current, how many volts do drop over the 4 Ohms resistor?
Subtract that from the 10 Volts and you know the voltage accross the other resistors.
Than you have a voltage divider of 0.89 and 1 , so you can calculate the voltages accross them.

Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

clyrics

Joined Apr 11, 2010
i assigned i3,i4,i5 to the parallel series circuit and got: i3=2.0113, i4=.9772, i5=1.0341

could anyone tell me if this is correct?

I have simplified your circuit now as you can see R1= 0.89 and R2= 1 are in series so have to apply now kvl first at node 1 as shown in fig after that you will come to know how much voltage gets into R1 , R2 and R3= 2 calculate the current in each resistor, and for R4 you should think what voltage and current it will contain ;)

Attachments