Help with simple beeper, speaker basics, speaker recommendation, etc.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by danielb33, May 25, 2013.

1. danielb33

Thread Starter Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I need to include a speaker on a board I am working on that will beep to notify the user something is wrong, The purpose of this board is to beep at the user often so they improve at something, so sound cant be annoying, cant rattle, etc. I have not dabbled with audio electronics much at all. I need in inexpensive speaker that will do the job. I am working with an stm32f0 processor.

Any recommendations? Frequencies? I need a small speaker as well. 20mm max width and 4mm max height.

I have been looking on digikey but I know I have to be missing important things in the datasheet since I never look at this stuff! Anything important I should know before ordering my prototype boards?

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    While I see a conflict in the specification you can always just drive a small speaker with a square wave, or an on and off signal. You would be best served if you just play with it to see what sounds good and what sounds annoying.

I've made do with just one high and one low frequency note, either short or long. The small speaker from Radio Shack worked. (With speakers I prefer to hold and touch top pick one out.)

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Here is probably the cheapest, easiest way to produce a tone with a DC voltage.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The problem with piezo beepers is they only make one tone, and typically it is quite annoying.

5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I agree, but then I find any repetitive noise annoying. Even the hysteresis of the two hard drives in my PC bothers me.

6. danielb33

Thread Starter Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks all. I'll do some testing.