Help with servo circuit

hacktorious

Joined Jan 14, 2008
Hello,
I am new to electronics and am working on a new project. One of my tasks is to get a microcontroller to steer an RC truck with the use of a Parallax BS2, and a Parallax ServoPAL device.

However, my concern is that I might damage my electronic devices if don't hook them up correctly. Thus, I decided to turn to this forum for support.

Is it necessary to use/build an H-Bridge circuit to put between the ServoPAL and the motor, or is there a better way? I am concerned the motor will require too much current/voltage for the stamp to handle.

Thanks. :D

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.........

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
There's no need for additional circuitry provided you are using a servo motor such as one of these .

You simply give the motor power and ground and feed it pulses. It appears this ServoPAL simply eliminates the need for you to continously feed the servo pulses (ie: it takes one pulse and repeats it until told otherwise). This frees up processing time on the stamp to do other things.

hacktorious

Joined Jan 14, 2008
Hmmm, well, I am using the servo that is in the RC Truck. It is pretty small.

Not sure this will help, but here is the truck I have:
http://www.raidentech.com/gmcyuxlderct.html

I was playing around with the parallax servo last night and it does feel powerful enough with only 5V. So I will guesstimate the one in the truck is similar.

I was looking at the controller used by the manufacturer of the truck and it doesn't appear to be anything special. I doubt it uses anymore than than 5v.

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
Yeah... should be good to go. The servo motor is a three terminal device. One pin for power, one for ground and the third is the control signal. The control signal is a high impedance input. The current required is not significant and is not dependant upon the size of the motor.

I would bet the rated voltage for the servos is somewhere between 9 and 7 volts. That doesn't mean it won't be suitable for use at 5 volts though.