Help with replacement capacitor

golfcaddy

Joined Jan 1, 2011
Hi - wonder if someone could help me. I am in the process of repairing the amplifier output stage of my electric piano and am replacing capacitors as part of that. (it works OK on headphones but no sound from the speakers).

There are two capacitors that I'm struggling with. They are both 3.3 μF, 50V radial electrolytic and I think they may possibly be bipolar since there is no cathode marking anywhere on the outside - this is my first question - how can I be sure? I guess if I replace with bipolar anyway then that shouldn't be a problem, even if the current ones are polarised?

The other question is the size. Even if I look at a 3.3μF 50V bipolar electrolytic replacement (and there aren't that many to choose from) they are all much smaller than the existing ones, typically around 10-12mm long and 6mm dia. The current ones on the board are 25mm long and 12mm dia. Are they this big for a reason and if I was to replace them with new, (physically) smaller ones would that be an issue?

The piano is about 15 years old, so my only other thought was whether manufacturing processes have become much better to produce smaller caps now?

Original part is an ECEA50Y3R3 but I can't find a direct part number replacement on the internet.

Photo is attached.

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
ECEA1HN3R3U

The above part number from Digikey should serve the application well.

It is 11mm in diameter and about half as tall as the original.

hgmjr