Help with Re-Design of my Scoreboard

Scott Zahirniak

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I built this scoreboard with 100 leds and 28 switches to turn them on. I know with a IC of some kind that you could build a circuit to activate a segment of a 7 segment led chip. But ive wired mine to control each segment of my digits with switches. Any help?IMG_0158.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0154.JPG

Scott Zahirniak

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I want to eliminate all the switches and be able to activate the multiple leds for each segment and be able to just hit one switch to increase in numbers and maybe one to go down and one to reset. I just didnt know if a led control chip would be able to light up multiple leds for each segment.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I want to eliminate all the switches and be able to activate the multiple leds for each segment and be able to just hit one switch to increase in numbers and maybe one to go down and one to reset. I just didnt know if a led control chip would be able to light up multiple leds for each segment.
You could use an up/down counter/decoder for that such as the CD40110 but you would have to add a transistor driver at each segment output to drive the multiple LEDs.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

You could use an up/down counter/decoder for that such as the CD40110 but you would have to add a transistor driver at each segment output to drive the multiple LEDs.
+1 For four digits, you'll need four CD40110's each paired with a ULN2004 assuming your power supply is 6VDC or higher. You may want to add a switch debouncer in the form of two CD4093's or a single CD40106 so the count doesn't appear to fly when you push the count up/down buttons. If you're feeling lazy and would rather pay for a solution, I've made a PCB with all this included for two digits, pictured below. Happy to post a schematic if you'd rather build this yourself.