Help with "PWM and OSC circuit" ?

keanna

Joined Jul 15, 2008
Hello guys,
My son is working on a project for a school fund raiser that I think is really cool. He has created this multi-player electronic game (using every gadget in the house) and he said he needs a circuit? to make it all work right.
I don't know anything about electronics other than what I have read online over the last two days but I really want to help with his project and be involved.

We can figure out how to use a soldering iron and we will try to make it ourselves but I don't know what all componets we will need to make the circuit described below.

He basically has 3 players: A, B and C and three "score keepers": 1, 2 and 3.
The players (A b and C) need to have their "Kills" hooked up in series 2 at a time and "report" their combined scores to the "score keepers" (1 2 and 3).

From what I have read so far online it would seem that what he needs would be a Pulse width controller/modulator and a timer controller or OSC (Oscillator-shuttle-circuit?) ??

This is how he said the circuit he needs would work
The cycle: A continuous cycle doing the following;
Players A and B would be hooked up in series and be connected to score keeper 1 and then connection broken, then players B and C would be connected in series to score keeper 2 and then connection broken, and finally players A and C would be connected in series to score keeper 3 and then connection broken and the cycle started over again.

The above needs to be cycled through continuously with the ability to control the duration of the connection time length (pulse?) and also how many times a second this is done (frequency?)

The way I see it, if he had a read out of the pulse duration and the frequency per second and two controllers (Pots?) to modify these he could figure out from there what to do.

He is currently doing the above manually. He is currently using 1.5v batteries and would like to try using 12v at some point. He says that he thinks the current system is using about 1-2 amps but it would be a lot more if he uses 12v ?

I have no idea how complicated it would be to make the above device/circuit. Any ideas, pointers, resources etc would be greatly appreciated.

Is there something that would do this already available? Maybe at Radio Shack or something?

Thank you for any help, ideas etc you can offer.
I'm running out of things he can take apart in the house.

Keanna

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Before getting too deep into the question, let me be sure I understand it. An OR gate gives a high output if either or both inputs are high. If both inputs are low, the output is low. I assume the contestants hit their switches, but don't know beforehand which pairs are being counted.

Sorry for the technical schematic, but I assume you are somewhat familiar with them, or at least you will be. Does this scheme represent what you want to do? I just picked 200 mS as a number. It could be any length of time you want. John

Edit: Outputs A, B, and C should be labeled 1, 2, and 3, respectively.
Corrected schematic.

View attachment 3793

Last edited: