Help with POS and SOP please!

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Dennis71, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Dennis71

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I was hoping somebody could help me out on this. We are doing Boolean Algebra and I have a test with several problems on it about Product of the Sum and Sum of the Product. We had this in class and I was to busy trying to understand this to take notes.
    If I remember right, it seems like you have to first get all 4 (ABCD) variables first.
    My first problem is Product of the Sum (POS) (A+B+C)(B+C+D)(A+C)
    It seems like you add DD' to (A+B+C) Which would be (A+B+C+D)(A+B+C+D') Then you would add AA' to the second term, then BB' and DD' to the last term.
    My second problem is Sum of the Product (SOP) with a K-Map. AB+AC+BC
    I don't remember but it seems like you multiply (AB)CC' DD', then BB' DD' multiplied the second term, and AA' and DD' multiplied to the last term. I don't remember for sure, of course then you would have to simplify. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure if I have an example of these then I will be able to figure out the rest of them.
    Thanks
    Thanks Dennis

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Here is just a portion of the material available on the AAC website covering the topic of boolean algebra.

hgmjr

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to ask. Are you looking a method for going from POS to SOP?

Can I also ask where you are getting this add DD' etc method from?

Dave

4. Dennis71

Mar 28, 2008
    On my first problem I am trying to go to POS. The second problem I am trying to figure out the SOP. I got the adding DD' out of my text book.
    Thanks Dennis

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    From your K-map? If so, check here and the link provided by hgmjr is suitable for this purpose.

I'm sorry I have never come across this DD' etc method you describe in the OP. Personally I would do all POS-SOP conversions using DeMorgans, but from what you say that is not what your question is asking you. I cannot offer any more advice as I do not fully understand what is being asked.

Dave

6. Dennis71

Mar 28, 2008
    I need to convert the following boolean expression into a standard POS form. (A+B+C)(B+C+D)(A+C).
    Heres an example from my book of another problem.
    The domain of this POS expression is A,B,C,D. Take one term at a time. The first term, A+B'+C, is missing variable D or D', so add DD' and apply rule 12 as follows.
    (A+B'+C)(B'+C+D')(A+B'+C'+D)
    A+B'+C=A+B'+C+DD'=(A+B'+C+D)(A+B'+C+D')

The second term, B'+C+D', is missing variable A or A', so add AA' and apply rule 12 as follows.
    B'+C+D'=B'+C+D'+AA'=(A+B'+C+D')(A'+B'+C+D')

The third form is already in standard form.
    A+B'+C'+D

(A+B'+C)(B'+C+D')(A+B'+C'+D)=
    (A+B'+C+D)(A+B'+C+D')(A+B'+C+D')(A'+B'+C+D')

On my problem I got (A+B+C)(B+C+D)(A+C)=
    A+B+C+DD'= (A+B+C+D)(A+B+C+D')
    B+C+D = B+C+D+AA' = (A+B+C+D)(A'+B+C+D)
    A+C= A+C+BB'+DD'
    (A+B+C)(A+B'+C)+DD'=(A+B+C+D)(A+B'+C+D')

Am I crazy or does this look close? this was just an example of POS

7. veritas

Feb 7, 2008
    personally, I would just draw the K-map and write out the full POS or SOP equations from that. K-maps are easy to draw and fill in, and POS and SOP equations are simple to derive from K-maps.

8. eng.zooma

Apr 4, 2010
    can we use the K-Map for POS too ??