Help with PNP low-side alternative?

Buga

Joined Jan 22, 2011
Hey everyone, essentially right now I'm using a PNP as a low-side switch, with the load on the emitter and the collector grounded. The reason, is I need an active low switch on the ground side, if I moved it to the high side I'd need 8 PNP transistors, to control eight LEDs. I have two groups of 8 LEDs, and want it so one group is turned on when a control signal is high, which an NPN is working great for, but then when the control signal is low I want the other set to be on, so I quickly used a PNP as a low side switch. I know this is inefficient, but can't think of a better way because on the high-side I have a shift register sourcing currents.

Any suggestions?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You're using the single PNP as an emitter follower, so you'll get a significant voltage drop across it.

You can use two NPNs daisy-chained as common emitter saturated switches; see the attached.

Your circuit is on the left; note the red Rload1 current plot below. The 1st NPN (Q2) will invert the active-low to an active-high. The 2nd NPN (Q3) sinks the current from Rload2; note its' green current plot below.

Adjust R3 to (Vcc-0.7)/(desired_collector_current/10).

After you do that, adjust R2 to 1/10 the current required to pull the voltage on the base of Q3 below 0.5v.

Attachments