Help with pinout ID 2n7000 -vs- 2n2222a

strpdbas

Joined Dec 24, 2008
I am substituting a 2n7000 TO-92 with a 2n2222a TO-18 NPN. According to the diagram I have for the 2n2222a the emitter is closest to the metal tab, the base is the center lead and the collector is opposite the emitter. I need to be sure I am installing correctly. The reason for my confusion is that although it appears when comparing the leads the collector=drain, the base=gate, and the emitter=source. Why do I get continuity from the metal case to the collector? I would think the emitter would be internally connected to the case.

2N2222A_and_schema.jpg

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Depending on the configuration of the circuit you are dealing with, the 2N7000 may not work if all you do is drop it into the circuit in place of the BJT.

hgmjr

strpdbas

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Hello, and thanks for the quick response. If the emitter goes to 0V why do I get continuity from the collector to the case?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It can be that the collector is mechanicaly connected to the case.
Just take a look underneath the transistor.
On the isolated pins you will see a (most times) a ring.
On the not isolated pin this ring is missing.

Here I have taken a picture of the bottom side of a 2N1711.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

strpdbas

Joined Dec 24, 2008
What is causing my concern is since I started using the 2n2222a I now get instant motor reversal when I trigger the limit switches and my trim pot has no effect on the time delay that should occur before the motor direction reverses. I don't even know if the NPN is related to the problem. I have received a lot of assistance from L. Chung (a senior member) and was hoping to get a layman's troubleshooting guide so I will know what to test when I experience incorrect operation of the controller.

strpdbas

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Hello,
Yes, I just printed the information and will begin using his instructions later today. Thanks for your help.
Strpdbas