Help with pic setup

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Cereal_Killer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Cereal_Killer

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I want to start using PIC, but I don't know what software to download, nor if I should use an assembler:confused:. Im also looking for a good and simple PIC programmer for USB. More info on my computer and my experience:
    - Macbook with USB and Windows 2000 (or 2004 I forgot?:D)
    - I am able to do visual basic programming, but I learn quickly and im not going to do very complex circuits!

What im looking for is advice, a good setup with free or cheap softwear and a good tutorial for programming. I would also like some advices for wich PIC to use.

I hope you will help me with this problem. :D

ResitΩrs Rulz!!! :D:D

2. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    The first thing you should do is go to the the Microchip site and download and install the latest version MPLAB. This is the Microchip IDE and it comes with a built-in assembly language compiler and debugger. While you on that site also download any data sheets and applications notes that take your fancy.

To actually learn to program PICs do a google for PIC programming or PIC tutorial. This will bring up many sites (most free) with programming tutorials. If you want to get to know the nuts and bolts of the PIC should start out learning assembler. Once you have mastered programming the PIC in assembler you can think about using a high level language like C or BASIC.

As far as programmers go I would stick to the Microchip models, either the PICKIT2/3 or the ICD2/3. You can get cheaper programmers on Ebay and on the net in general and some of them work quite well but they all lack after-sale support. This means that when new PIC chips come out there is a very strong possibility that the cheap programmers will not be able to program them. Microchip on the other hand keeps its programmer software up to date and releases software updates as new chips come on line.

3. Cereal_Killer

Feb 25, 2009
    Thank you for the help, if you got any other advices, well keep posting, I appreciate your help.

4. Cereal_Killer

Feb 25, 2009
    I have visited the website, and I have found this : PicKit2 starter kit. Knowing I have no experience with PICs, do you think this is right for me? I have already done some simple visual basic programming with the free microsoft software so I should be OK. And it comes with MPLAB.

5. Cereal_Killer

Feb 25, 2009
    Well it says in the description that it comes with the software. If you say I need additionnal software, than please give me a link.