Help with PIC families and features.

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by spinnaker, Nov 24, 2009.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I am just getting started with PICs. I went to the Microchip site but I am having trouble determining the following:

1. Difference between the various families. I understand the whole 8 bit, 16bit thing but I am lost when it comes to the features of the families within those categories.

2. Knowing what the various acronyms on the feature chart mean.

3. This one might be related to #2 but I am having trouble determining how many parallel I/O pins a chip has.

Is there anywhere I can go that explains these things?

2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    If you are just beginning use the Arduino. Switch to PIC when you have special needs ( unless you already do ) Others will not agree.

16F877A is the old school power house pic.

Microchip has a selection chart, find it on their web site.

One of the reasons not to use the PIC is there are too may options. As a pro this is good, as a beginner not.

3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks.

I am aware of the selection chart. It is what prompted my question.

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    How many input / output pins do you need? How many of the inputs need to be analog?
    What is the the project?

5. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Well I was hoping to learn how to figure the char out so I can determine that in the future.

But I had a strange idea to use the PIC as the front end for a 6502 project. It would handle the keypad (20 keys) and 6 seven segment displays (4 for address for for data). Yes I know I can use LCD but I wanted to give it an "old school" KIM computer look.

I figured I could have 6502 "talk" to to the pic via a 6522 serial i/o.

If I have my math right I would need at least 10 for the display and another 10 or 11 for the keypad.

Do I have that right?