Help with personal Latching solenoid valve project

Visual Set Pilot

Joined Dec 17, 2009
What we are looking for:
1. No Spark when Murphy Switch makes contact
2. When switch is in contact, I would like the solenoid valve to receive a 40+ms pulse or 40+ms pulse to close.( no need to reverse polarity)
3. Flashing Red LED Low Battery Indication
4. Flashing indication that either the A or the B switch has been closed.
5. able to set the circuit as auto reset when switch gauge is released or manual reset (both a and b) with a toggle switch. On both a and b. (only be abe to reset if the switch gauge is not contact.
6. Implement a solar panel input to the circuit board.
7. Self system check once a week. Red LED if error is found.
8. It will be operating out side
9. With the same toggle be able to close the solenoid until the reset toggle is pushed.
10. Dry contacts they will be able to close the solenoid with a N.O. contact and /or N.C.​
11. Circuit will be at a remote location where lighting storms might stir up some static. So I would need some input on what chips to use to prevent static damage.

I dont even have a direction on how to create a pulse signal that is duel edge triggered. anything would help

Attachments

eng1ne

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Unfortunately, in my experience you will fall over the hurdle at stage 1. Let's start there.

Why should the switch not spark? Inherently, mechanical switches spark, and preventing such is effortful. I am not familiar with the Murphy Switch Gauge - can you post a link?

Visual Set Pilot

Joined Dec 17, 2009
The reason for the system not to spark is because it might be exposed to natural gas if there is a leak in the gauge or solenoid valve. The Murphy switch gauge is a model OPLFC, Its a mechanical contact switch. I didnt know if a dry contact relay would do the trick. This circuit is being used as a Emergency shut down device, so the circuit needs to be very reliable.

I have BSME, I've taken a few circuit courses but I need to go back to get my BSEE. Thank for the help

Attachments

If your environment has to be explosion proof against natural gas, you will need the control housing and operators to be Class 1 Groups B thru D (available). The circuit as shown cannot work; all the solenoid current must pass thru the LED's. There is no suppression for the DC solenoid. The solenoid coil must be a potted design to meet Class I service (available). You will have to have a low battery alarm circuit built to the specific requirements of your battery. Where is the battery located? The solar panel charger will need to be compatible with your battery also. I'm not sure if it has to meet the Class I criteria. You need professional circuit design help.

Regards, DPW