Help with Peltier cooler

russel0110019

Joined Jun 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am new in this forum. I am also planning to use a peltier cooler for my PC. I went through some papers, and found that it itself consumes some electric power. now, say the heat that should be dissipated from a core 2 duo processor is 35W, and I am attaching a peltier cooler in contact of the processor, and say the peltier cooler consumes another 3W. so at the hot side of the peltier cooler I have to dissipate 38W. So, what is the use of using a peltier cooler. I am still thinking about it, not sure yet how it works.

Again I did an analysis for a peltier cooler, and the analysis showed that it consumed 3W and could get a temperature difference of 8C, so does it means the peltier cooler itself has a thermal resistance of dT/dW = 8/(35+3) = 0.211 (approx.) C/W ?

But, with the current method where Heat Pipe is used, and the temperature reduction across the heat pipe is 2C. Heat pipe does not consume any external power. In this case thermal resistance is 2/35 = 0.057C/W.

these two shows that, peltier cooler has higher thermal resistance. I am not sure about the whole analysis. not sure about how to calculate thermal resistance for peltier coolers? but the good thing about the peltier cooler is that, it can make a good temperature difference.

Do you have any suggestions or can you guys help me with some web sites?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We discourage people posting new questions onto the end of existing threads. Always start a new thread for any new topic you wish to pursue.

Peltiers can move heat very well - but you need to keep the hot side as cool as possible. You are correct in your analysis - it will result in a higher power consumption. The upshot is that your processor should run cooler, and a few more watts to dissipate is the price.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the projects I've been meaning to do forever with this unit...

involves putting it on the bottom of my computer case and ducting the hot air generated by it directly outside. I wouldn't put on on my CPU because they do fail, and a bad TEC on the CPU is a sure fire way of taking out the CPU too. You also have to worry about moisture on them occasionally, mine will be on the bottom of the case so it won't be a problem either way.

Mine requires 12VDC at 4A. I've already bought the power supply, just need to get er done.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Bill,
What did you pay for that out of curiousity?

I think that's a Peltier out of a Coleman cooler. A local shop has those for nearly $30/ea, which I think is too high.