Help with PCB repair/soldering

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jackstar, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jackstar

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    As I was removing a broken component, a 25-pin amplifier, from the PCB one of the pins took a piece of the upper layer + the through-hole via with it...

The pin doesn't seem to connect to anything on the top side except for a small "dead end" area which I assume is there only because of manufacturing reasons (click picture for full-size image):
    [​IMG]

On the backside it is connected to ground, the datasheet for the component confirms the pin as P-GND3:
    [​IMG]

Having the pin make contact to ground on the backside won't be any problem but I was wondering what you would suggest regarding the top side + the fact that the through-hole copper tube also came loose with the pin:
    [​IMG]

2. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    You have managed to rip the complete via(through hole plating) out of the hole together with the topside solderpad.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If it is simply a double sided board, i.e. no inner layers, then you are OK. Just solder the pin on the bottom side.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yep.. just forget about the top "oops" and just solder the component to the bottom side only.. no problems.

5. jackstar

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Thanks for the replies all. I don't know if the board is layered or not but if it is and there were other connections going to that through-hole inside the PCB then I guess there's no way of repairing that now. So I might as well just solder the component back in place and see if the unit still works or not. I could of course try removing the copper tube from the broken pin and re-inserting it into the hole but it's probably not worth the hassle...

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    In this case you're OK. Since the bottom connection is to a GND plane it is unlikely that it would be connected to a trace on an inside plane.

7. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Don't forget to also reconnect to the broken off trace that went to the hole at the top of the board or the circuit won't work.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    There is no circuit connection on the top side of the board.