Help with op amp data sheet

arenwi

Joined Dec 29, 2014
Hi every body.

I was some days trying to make a linear amplifier for audio frecuencies (betwin 0 and 20000 Hz).
I had started asembling and asembling circuits but coudnt find the solution.
Now I need to start step by step to desing a good cyrcuit.

I was having problems to find the caracteristic of lineality (betwin gain and frecuency) in mi op amp data shet´s, I think that I don´t intrepetate it in the right way.

Im working with a simple inverter op amp sircuits with single supply, with op amps like:

Linear Lt1078 http://www.linear.com/product/LT1078

Texas TLV2264 http://www.ti.com/product/tlv2264

Many thanks

Aren

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To analyze the frequency response of any feedback amplifier system, we need to know the required voltage gain, minimum input impedance, minimum output load impedance, supply voltage, maximum amplitude of the the output, allowed noise figure, and distortion.

The resistors, capacitors and opamp characteristics all follow from these specs.

arenwi

Joined Dec 29, 2014
Hi MIke,

I would like to desing the circuit looking the specifications of the data sheet before.

I think that if I dont use any filter on the circuit the values of the resistance are only used for the Gain but I nedd to know witch is the most gain with lineality betwin 0 and 20Khz before to desing it (I need this information of the data sheet) to know how many cascade op amps I need.

I will work with 4.5 vots from a batery, needing 100x of gain and with a minimum imput impedance of 10k ohms.

Using this circuit

Also an inverter configuration will ve ok.
BUt how could I obtain the frecuency response of mi circuit. Until I know I must to look inside of the data sheet of the op amp. But where??

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is a practical amplifier, showing bias and coupling capacitors. I show the Gain vs frequency at different values of R3 when the input is 40mVpp. Note that this is non-inverting configuration, where the gain is 1+R3/R4. Gains of 2, 5, 10 and 20 are shown.

Note that the amplifier itself runs out of GainBandwidth product to be flat to 20kHz for gains => 10...

75.gif

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
One way to estimate if the opamp you have selected is good enough for the job is to look at the gain-bandwidth product on the datasheet. For example, what you need is a gain of 1oo (40 dB) and bandwidth of 20 kHz, for a GBW of 2 MHz. For the circuit to have a low output impedance, flat frequency response, and low distortion, you need at least 20 dB of negative feedback, for a total minimum forward gain of 60 dB. Looking at the open loop gain plot on the datasheet, see what the open loop gain is at 20 kHz. If it is less than 60 dB, your circuit will not have the performance you need.

High performance audio is tough, and most general purpose opamps don't measure up. The LT1078 is an excellent part, but as shown above it is not going to work for you. Some opamps are specifically designed for audio applications, such as the NE5532/5534, Fairchild's RC series, Analog Devices SM series and many parts from TI (Burr Brown). THAT has a line of audio preamp chips with exceptional performance.

ak