Help with making an electromagnet pulse

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by InTylerable, Aug 14, 2014.

1. InTylerable

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Please help! I am working on an invention and I need to make electromagnets pulse. I made the electromagnets and attempted using a 12v strobe light circuit board to create the pulses of electricity I need. I fried two circuit boards doing this, they worked for a short amount of time. My theory is there is not enough resistance or anything to "absorb" the electricity and too much is returning to the circuit board.
    Thoughts anyone?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Did you include a back-emf absorbing diode in your output driver?
    An electromagnet is largely inductive. Every time you turn off the current to the electromagnet there will be a large back-emf which will blow your electronics.

Posting a circuit schematic is appropriate here.

3. InTylerable

Aug 14, 2014
    No I did not, I was using a prefabricated output driver. A 12v auto strobe light kit meant to run LED's. I am considering purchasing a 9 volt strobe light kit http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C5175. Where would the back emf absorbing diode need to be placed? Unfortunately I do not want to post the schematics as I would like to patent my idea. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Is there a certain diode I would need for a 9 volt system?

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Put a diode such as 1N4007 across the electromagnet such that it is reversed biased, i.e. the cathode goes to the more positive side of the supply line.

InTylerable likes this.
  5. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    Most likely your LED strobe cannot deliver nearly the current your electromagnet wants. You need to deal with that as well as the back EMF protection.

Bob

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    There's really not any way we can help you without a schematic. If you want to invent something and patent it, then go right ahead. But that means you can't get any outside help especially if you plan on being that secretive about it. If you want all the credit, then YOU must do all the work. You can't ask other people to help you.

7. InTylerable

Aug 14, 2014
    No, Mr. Chips had the answer I needed but thanks anyway...

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Did adding a freewheel diode fix the problem?

9. Lineout

Nov 20, 2013

Is this the 'snubber circuit' ?
    When using one for a dc motor can't you also throw in a capacitor, if so could you talk about why the capacitor is helpful ?

I've not yet found a definitive tutorial on the snubber circuit, have you found a source that shows appropriate values of capacitors for different size motors or a formula to arrive at a correct size.
    I think the last info I got was 'just about any size will do' , which seems correct, but it would be nice to have a better way to choose.

10. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the capacitor is to reduce electrical noise generated by the brushes. the resistor and capacitor "snubber" is mostly for ac motors, where a diode would not work.