Help with LTSpice Boost Convertor Sim

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No, it's an OK starter place.

L1 could be much smaller; perhaps 330uH.
C1 should be larger.
D1 should be a model, like a 1N4148 or 1N914 fast switching diode.
Q1 should be something like a 2N2222, 2N4401, 2N3904.
R1 should be 200 to 250 Ohms to more closely emulate your load. You could replace it with a current sink of anywhere from 10mA to 20mA.
Try to get your switching frequency somewhere between 18kHz and 50kHz.

Thanks for the tips! I was going by a calculator I found on the internet somewhere. It is the values they recommended. Frequency is one of the inputs. I will try again with the frequency you recommended. But no calculator is going to replace experience so thanks again.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Keep in mind that without feedback, your output voltage will be unregulated; a change in load means a change in output voltage.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Keep in mind that without feedback, your output voltage will be unregulated; a change in load means a change in output voltage.
I was thinking I could do this with my PIC if I want to get really fancy. Varying the duty cycle should vary the voltage correct?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
To a certain extent, varying the duty cycle will vary the voltage.

You'll need to avoid inductor saturation. Decreasing PRT will generally help with that. Increasing inductor size can also help.

Generally, the smaller the inductance, the smaller the PRT needs to be.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
To a certain extent, varying the duty cycle will vary the voltage.

You'll need to avoid inductor saturation. Decreasing PRT will generally help with that. Increasing inductor size can also help.

Generally, the smaller the inductance, the smaller the PRT needs to be.

Sorry I tried doing a search and did not find it. PRT is??