help with leds

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vodkapete, Jul 8, 2014.

1. vodkapete

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Hey guys, so im planning on running about 6 rgb 3528 LED strips (5 meters each) to go around the pool. they have 60 leds per meter.

i need to know how to connect them safely , do i need rgb amplifiers or drivers ..
    here are some specs :

Type: 44-Key Remote Controller
    0utput: 3 channels
    Input/Output: 12V
    Connect Mode: Common Anode
    Output current: <2A (each channel)
    Working Temperature: -20°C-60°C

Output power: 12V: <72W

thanks for the help.

2. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    Electricity and water do not mix very well.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Do you mean on a fence handrail or such, near the pool, or actually within reach of someone in the pool? Or under the water?

4. vodkapete

Jul 8, 2014
    They are waterproof led strips and I've passed them through transparent tubing , just to prolong the life.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The LED strip specs appear to say that you need a minimum of 2A per strip, at 12V. That means you'll need one controller for each strip.

Since you are near a pool, I wouldn't consider putting them in series and raising the voltage. I think you'll have to put them in parallel, all at 12V. With 6 of them, you'll need a 12A power supply if you want to consolidate into one controller.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Just a caution...
    If they are IP65 rated they are NOT submersible.
    IP65 is dust and water jet protected..
    IP68 is dust and submersible..

many are marketed as "waterproof" but are not submersible like some might assume.

7. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    This could be a risky situation.

Even dangerous depending on the isolation and location of the power supply or charging circuit.

8. vodkapete

Jul 8, 2014
    Again the leds are waterproof and passed through a transparent rubber tubing, never do the leds touch water.
    I found a site that says a 12v 400w power supply can power up to 6-7 strips in series. the unit is also waterproof though it will be in a insulated box anyway. would this cause voltage drop ? or have any negative effect on the controller?

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    That power supply would be Ok for the strings in parallel, not serial, since each string needs 12V. A power supply of that size will generate heat that needs to be dissipated to the environment. Putting it in an insulated box will most likely be a problem. But it's all about the details. Post some pictures or links here and folks can help.

10. vodkapete

Jul 8, 2014
  11. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    That is nice video.
    What it does not tell you is how to connect the strips.

So.
    You have 12 volt power supply, it provides 12 volts. You have 12 volt strips, each strip consumes 12 volts. You said that you want to connect the strips in series, what does that mean? It means that you have a "train", strip 1 connected to strip 2, strip 2 connected to strip 3, strip 3 connected to strip 4, etc., like wagons of a train. What does this mean electrically? It means that you have 12 volts+12 volts+12 volts+12 volts+12 volts+12 volts=6*12 volts=72 volts. Can your 12 volt power supply provide 72 volts? (insert your answer here)

The only way to provide 12 volts to all 6 strips is to connect the strips in parallel. Which is what someone above have said.

12. vodkapete

Jul 8, 2014
    Ok understood , do you think I would need rgb amplifiers ?

13. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    As far as rgb amplifier. There is one part that you have not mentioned. The rgb controller. The rgb controller is generally the part that determines how many strips can be powered. Let say you selected rgb controller, it says it can power 3 strips in series. You have 6 strips in series. So rgb controller powers first 3 strips. How do you power the last 3 strips? You use rgb amplifier.

Since you do not have rbg controller selected. It is impossible to determine the need for rgb amplifier.

14. vodkapete

Jul 8, 2014
    all it says is input 12v output 6a max