Help with KVL

sikhest

Joined Nov 1, 2007
Hello,

I know this is a simple topic for most but i keep getting confused on assigning + and - values to resistors. can someone please explain to me how I know which side the + and - sign go on each resistor in the attached picture.

Thanks,

Attachments

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
for resistances encountered by traversing in direction of current drop + at the entering side and - at the other.

After you have drawn all your voltage loops, go around the loop looking at each resistor and voltage source. If the current at a resistor is in the same direction as the voltage loop, it will be -IR. If they are in the opposite direction, it will be IR. For batteries, its the same thing except the direction of the current doesn't matter. If the voltage direction reaches to - terminal of the battery first, then it will be + EMF(voltage of the battery). If it reaches the + terminal first, then it will be -EMF.

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Hello,

I know this is a simple topic for most but i keep getting confused on assigning + and - values to resistors. can someone please explain to me how I know which side the + and - sign go on each resistor in the attached picture.

Thanks,
Are you having problems because the current source and the voltage source are in the same loop?