Help with Jeopardy circuit ... will this work

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by gte, Dec 14, 2010.

1. gte

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Hi, my assignment is as follows
    "Design a buzzer to be used on a game show. 3 contestants each have a button to depress if they would like the opportunity to answer a question.

Features
    - Once button is depressed, all other buttons must be ignored (dismantled).
    - An LED is illuminated to indicate that a button was depressed and the LED shall stay lit for 5 seconds.
    - System may be reset by the operator or automatically.
    * Bonus - if contestant answers incorrectly, their button shall be blocked until reset"
    Here is my circuit, please tell me if you think it will work. Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    What function does the transistor serve?

What will debounce the switches?

3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I don't think switch bounce would play into it, since the first pulse in a "bounce string" would be all that is needed to trigger. Debouncing could be added for fussy gates or extra credit, though.

I am unsure of the bonus question of "leave button disabled for rest of round". What determines "rest of round"? I've not watched the show.

gte likes this.
  4. gte

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    The master reset enables all switches for the following question and the transistor drains the cap completely disabling that contestants counter until the next question/time the master reset switch is pressed enabling their button for the up and coming question.

What about the rest of it?

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Check this guy's circuit. It's mostly what you want, except from the disable functionality.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=46830

You might want to to away with the transistors, as they will ruin the reliability and energy consuption of your circuit. Try to play a bit with the disable fucntion of the 7447 or the FF IC.

gte likes this.