help with induction motor.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A lot of washing machine motors are configured with the shaft positioned vertical. Especially the old style. The have a noise when shaft is horizontal, do to the way the thrust is controlled. I'd be willing to bet your motor is only 1/3 HP or less. most washing machine motors made since around 1980's are not round like that but square.

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
all probs fixed.problem with starting and noise was all part of the centrifugal switch. after taking good looks it al made sence. (-:

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
hello. can any of you tell me what size motor I should buy for a table saw and what hp. i might use a 9 inch blade but would like the option for a 10 inch.

here are the types available.

http://www.mmengservices.co.uk/online-shop/single-phase-motors/

CAPACITOR START AND RUN

Used for: High Starting Torque Requirements
Examples: Gearboxes, Car Ramps, Compressors

OR Permanent Capacitor
Used for: Light Starting Torque Requirements
Examples: Pumps, Fans

thank you very much for your help.

ron

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Either capacitor start and run or a large universal type (brushed AC motor) or a large PM DC motor (Treadmill motor would be a good choice) and use a rectifier to convert your AC line power to DC.

Hp wise 1.5 + is what I would be shopping for.

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
WD 40 is not a great lubricating oil. It is a water displacement and corrosion dissolving acidic formulation - it tends to evaporate (dry) quickly because it is very low molecular weight mineral oil. Use your wife's sewing machine oil, 3 in 1 oil or even some light motor oil.
Use regular motor oil only. Many of these single phase electric motors use a packing around the bushing and a felt wick which projects through the hole in the bushing to keep oil circulating from the packing into the bearing surface and back again. The packings dry out from the heat. I've seen some of the small felt packings that project through the hole so hard and dry you could almost break them in two. Soak that packing well with motor oil if you can disassemble the motor. Many motors will have a cover that can be removed. Remove the felt packing if it's really hard and clean it in solvent, then soak it with fresh oil. Other motors may have an oil hole.