Help with identifying name of simple component

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hwcter, Apr 17, 2010.

1. hwcter

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Hi all,

I am by no means an electronics expert, but I've got a question.

Basically I am working on something in my car and I need a electronic component that can perform the following:

It has 2 inputs, input 1 and input 2, and 1 output.
    In my case, input 1 is a constant +12V DC signal (straight from battery).
    Input 2 is a +6V DC signal, that's only high when the car ignition is on.

So what I want is some kind of component that takes these 2 inputs in (and I guess it probably also needs a ground input) and whenever input 2 is high (at or near +6V) it outputs the +12V signal from battery, in all other cases it outputs 0.

I guess it's very similar to an AND gate, but I don't think that's what I'm after here? I think I need a relay switch, but I could be wrong. If anyone could help me out and knows whether such a component exists that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    What is 12V output powering? How much current must the 12V output supply?

Ken

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    We stopped giving advice on automotive projects several weeks ago, in light of numerous problems that have surfaced.

We're not automotive engineers, and we don't know if you're ASE certified to work on automotive projects.

So, due to safety and legal issues, we stopped.

4. hwcter

Apr 17, 2010
    Ok I respect that, thanks for informing me and thanks anyway =)

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I can do it, I have worked on auto motives but you should do exactly what I say or you will end up in smokes

6. hwcter

Apr 17, 2010
    Well that would be great, and I won't do anything which you did not instruct.

But at the same time I don't want to be breaking any forum laws :)

Anyhow, the battery draws a current of 20A to 40A when fully charged. It'll be used to power a electronic device (LPG emulator) which allows me to switch from petrol to LPG (auto gas). The thing is, the emulator should only get current when the ignition is on, hence my search for this component I'm looking for.

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    show me these things

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    What is the project? What are you trying to do?

If this is deals with basics on the car it is frowned upon, but if it is something else maybe we can help.

Things like tampering with the ignition, the running lights, or the emissions control is definitely not done here.

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    With respect to R!f@@, we have to be cautious about automotive alterations or add-ons. There are too many safety issues involved. Worst-case resulting in a vehicle fire or crucial lamp failure while in traffic.

A relay could probably perform the task, but will it and the wiring be approved? What is the consequence of failure resulting in maintained on or off states?

10. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    we'll see guys.
    I don't endanger lives and I definitely don't do what I donno. I don't brag.
    I want to see what OP wants and what he is capable of, after that I'll decide what to do.
    I just want to hear him out.