Help with FM Broadcast Radio receiver

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Interesting you should mention that. Oscillation is a problem with this chip, but no where near as bad as you just stated. Motor putting seems to be a big hitter.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=16614

The circuit drives an antenna. It must be an extremely long antenna for such a low frequency.

The LM386 little power amp has a response that is -3dB at 300kHz when its gain is 20 (26dB).

I just did a through search on it on AAC and google, and didn't find many references the problem in general. Specific cases did stand out though.

Using protoboards you need to keep the wires short, which is one reason I like to lay mine out as flat as possible. Layout on protoboards can be critical (but not always). Something else, when you are dealing with circuits plan on adding a filter cap or two. Generally I use a 220µF and 0.1µF for low frequencies and high frequencies respectively, to filter the power supplies. I didn't see anything like that on your protoboard. It is hit and miss whether it matters, sometimes it is important, others not.

Generally for anything under 100Khz with audio and digital I haven't had too much problem with protoboards, and I have made a few circuits that worked reliably over 1Mhz (but luck helps).