Help with Flashing an LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If you use capacitive discharg, use a C charging current limiting resistor, 1 k, & discharge limiting R, starting with about 10 ohm, & work down to lower values untill LED blows. Use switch or FET & SW.

JohnBee

Joined Jan 14, 2015
It's like a personal computer in the hands of a cave man, I'm telling ya.
I might be able to crack walnuts with the key board.

JohnBee

Joined Jan 14, 2015
Quote: "If you use capacitive discharge, use a C charging current limiting resistor, 1 k, & discharge limiting R, starting with about 10 ohm, & work down to lower values untill LED blows. Use switch or FET & SW."
Me: The 1k charging resistor - why?
And the discharge resistor - I see the thinking, but what about the over-voltage above the led's band gap conduction V? Obviously, a capacitor will drop in voltage as it discharges. Why not just vary that V and limit
the time of discharge? And what about capacitor ESR?
jb

mossman

Joined Aug 26, 2010
It sounds like you know a good amount about electronics based on you posts. I'm a little baffled as to why you can't figure this out. Exactly what are you planning on doing with this device?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I think John is trying to smoke LEDs. What will happen if you connect a 12 V battery across the LED, that is what you get by deleating charging resistor & current limiting resistor. Poof.

JohnBee

Joined Jan 14, 2015
I think John is trying to smoke LEDs. What will happen if you connect a 12 V battery across the LED, that is what you get by deleating charging resistor & current limiting resistor. Poof.
I think Bernard is into the ETOH today. :) I said "limit the time it is on." I am looking for bright, short flash. As much current as you can put through, in a time limited way.
And yes, I have always liked fireworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.