Help with European converter in US

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by noob, May 30, 2009.

1. noob

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2009
    Hi all,
    I'm new here with my first post and need help.

I have an entertaiment center, which I bought while stationed in Europe, that has lights halogen lamps. The electronic converter for it is a FlatLine Type EST 120/12.389.
    I believe it converts down from 230V based on what is inllistrated on the back. It looks like this...

On the left side
    ----->-----O (the line is solid and the 'o' is filled)
    L
    230V~

----->-----O
    N

On the right side
    O-------------
    l
    l
    X (with a circle around it)
    l
    l
    O-------------

Additional information:
    PRI
    230V~
    500mA
    50-60 Hz
    λ = 0,98
    ta= 20 to 40° C
    tc = 70° C

I would like to get this working here in the US and need to know if it is possible to do so? How?

Note on the end the connect to the lights it has max 120 watts (12V) indicated. this is why I think it will work and with out thew converter.

Help please

2. hwy101

May 23, 2009
  3. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    I've spent a number of years in Germany. 230VAC devices won't work with 115VAC, but won't blow the transformer as if a 115VAC device was plugged into 230VAC. This is how you can get your European device to work with 115. When you were there, remember those big step-down transformers that convert 230 to 115? Obtain one of those, take it out of the case. The 230VAC mains is fed into the primary winding of the transformer. The secondary will step the voltage down and give you 115. Simply feed 115 into the secondary. The primary will step up the voltage, now you have 230. Remember the wattage rating. If you use a transformer with too low of a wattage rating, you will smoke it and possibly start a fire. All of them have fuses, but I seldom seen the fuse blow as the transformer gets smoked.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A step down transformer (2:1) rated for 130W or more (more is better) would do it.

5. noob

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2009

That's the one alright. I plugged it in to try ti and it worked but now I have to figure out the wiring for the remaining parts. Instead of having red and black the are gray and brown.

which is pos and which is neg?

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If it's AC, there are no polarities to observe.

7. hwy101

May 23, 2009
    Yes, they are AC out
    they are similar to the units here in North America for 12v halogen track lighting and not required to have DC out