Help with encapsulating circuits into gadget

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by TsAmE, Sep 11, 2010.

1. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I am busy doing my first electronics project to build a gadget which makes different sounds (using a speaker in a 555 circuit). I know how to use a breadboard to test different circuits and am going to learn how to solder soon, but I am curious how one would actually efficiently encapsulate all these different circuits into a small material such a box. Are there any good guides out there on how to actually place all the components together?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The process you want is referred to as potting. There are several compounds on the market, you can also use silicon or epoxy. You might trying doing a search on the word.

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Are you speaking of placing the circuit on a printed circuit board?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Good catch, the word encapsulate steered me down the path.

5. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Haha sorry for the ambiguity wasnt really sure how to describe it. I have heard of PCBs before. Are these the only way (and most efficient)? By encapsulation I ment what stuff to place your circuits onto, so that they are placed nicely inside the model when you make it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You should look into perf boards, they're like circuit boards but pre-drilled with lots of holes at the standard 0.1" spacing. Just add your components and use jumper wires for longer runs. You can just bridge over from hole to hole with solder for short interconnects.

A favorite holder for finished boards is an Altoid tin. You can drill holes in them and all sorts of things. Very handy. You'll not likely need to get into potting, which is embedding your circuit in hard plastic. A glue gun is handy for the occasional need to hold something in place.

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010