Help with diode logic lab

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by dnick6000, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dnick6000

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I am wondering if anyone can help me with this simple problem. My electronics class had a lab test with this question: Construct a circuit using 5 nopb switches, 3 incandescent 12v lamps, and as few diodes to do the following: pressing switch 1 turns on lamp 1, switch 2 lamp 2, switch 3 lamp 3, switch 4 lamps 1 and 3, and switch 5 all lamps. Seems pretty simple huh. The least diodes I could come up with and work was 4. Just wondering if anyone could do it with less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Here are some examples of simple diode logic functions along with a brief explanation of how they operate.

These examples should reinforce the information that is presented in your course textbook.

hgmjr

3. dnick6000

Feb 24, 2006

Thanks for the help..Pretty useful info. Many Thanks

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Since you have fewer diodes then switches, if one of the switches is connected directly to one or more lamps then the circuit might not work the way you expect.

5. dnick6000

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't understand your comment. I have built the circuit using four diodes and works fine but I was just wondering if I could complete the task using less diodes. What would it matter if the switch is connected straight to the lamp?