Help with designing "pecking" toy

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by zr2paul, Apr 14, 2013.

1. zr2paul

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I'm looking to design a plastic toy that will create a "pecking" or "feeding" motion. I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me design this?

Id like to use AA rechargeable batteries. I basically want the toy to do a back and forth motion and if its possible to pause for a few seconds after each few pecks...so basically on for 10second and off for lets say 15seconds.

Thanks

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    How many pecks while "on"?

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    It's been done already. <grin>

[​IMG]

• DB.jpg
      DB.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
    mcgyvr likes this.
  4. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    If you're looking for an electro-mechanical solution then I'd guess you would be looking at a circuit that operates a little toy motor which drives a cam to give you an up and down motion?

5. zr2paul

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Its basically a Pigeon Decoy (Plastic Pigeon) that I need to make into a pecking/feeding device. I'm just looking for the easiest most economical solution. As long as it shows "pecking" movement Id be happy. Id like it to go up and down a few times (5-10) then pause for 10-15 seconds, then loop again. I need this to run for about 3-4hrs.

If adding a remote to this device isn't too difficult I would really like that! It's not something I need but I sure would want it ;)

Paul

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    See if you can find a cheap solar powered bobblehead, take it apart and reuse the motor inside.

7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Do you have the pigeon yet? Are you going to hinge it at neck & legs. For neck I would use a solenoid & for legs a small geared motor. A model airplane type servo should work fine for legs. A 555 osc & driver for peck, another for timing, one more for servo control.