Help with creating graphs of peak rectified half-wave and full-wave voltages

gurg2k1

Joined Feb 26, 2013
My apologies if this is a repost, as I originally posted it from my phone and received an error when trying to submit.

Anyway... I need help with creating graphs for full-wave and half-wave peak rectified voltage for an electronics lab. I have already completed the lab and need to "electronically" recreate the oscilloscope displays for my lab report. My teacher's only suggestion was for us to "use Excel." However, without lots of data points, the graphs come out looking rather ugly. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any software that can help me to accomplish this?

If it helps, I have Multisim 12 and ORCAD Capture Lite at my disposal. I have tried simulating the circuit in Multisim so that I could copy the oscilloscope display, but for some reason my "rectified" voltage came out as a full sinewave (minus the diode drop) instead of a DC voltage.

I'm not sure if it's needed but the circuit is a 120V:12.6VCT (RMS) transformer, a 1N4004 diode (two diodes for the full-wave circuit, grounded center tap), and a simple neon lamp as the load. The peak rectified voltage is 17.03V.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A neon lamp won't fire at 9 volts. Maybe the lack of any load current at all is throwing the display off.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
post a copy of your "oscilloscope" display as well as your schematic. #12 is correct.

Edited to add ... consider the virtual oscilloscope has no input impedance. When we add a 1 M resistor across the terminals of the oscilloscope, simulating the input impedence of your DSO, the waveforms will be "as expected".

Attachments

Last edited:

gurg2k1

Joined Feb 26, 2013
Thank you! I replaced the lamp with a 100Ω resistor and it is displaying the correct rectified voltage waveform now.

To address my original question, I have been playing around with Multisim a bit more and have figured out how to view the oscilloscope display in the Grapher window. However, when trying to export the data to Excel I get an error saying "Unable to transfer data to Excel." Any suggestions on how to solve this new issue? I am using Office Starter if that has anything to do with it.

Attachments