Help with component placement?

SublimeOrangeUK

Joined Feb 12, 2013
Hi there,

I'm trying to make a "Remote control signal jammer" but I'm confused on where I should place and solder the components on a piece of copper stripboard.

The piece I have when the strips are horizontal is 12 holes vertical by 50 holes horizontal.

The schematics are this: http://www.next.gr/uploads/543-968ed73dfd.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

-SublimeOrangeUK

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
so long as you make the connections given in your image, you shouldn't have any problem. You don't need to be choosy about placement with something like this...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi there,

I'm trying to make a "Remote control signal jammer" but I'm confused on where I should place and solder the components on a piece of copper stripboard.

The piece I have when the strips are horizontal is 12 holes vertical by 50 holes horizontal.

The schematics are this: http://www.next.gr/uploads/543-968ed73dfd.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

-SublimeOrangeUK
Have you used a stripboard before? Do you know the basics about placing components so that they make use of the separate electrical strips, and that some strips will have to be cut to accommodate your circuit? Or are you just asking if the components have to be in some particular relation to each other?

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Don't forget to include a bypass cap. I don't see it on the schematic. You need a bypass cap between VCC and GND (pins 8 and 1). Place it right next to the pins on the device, as close as possible. A 0.1uf ceramic should do just fine.

SublimeOrangeUK

Joined Feb 12, 2013
No, I fully understand how a stripboard works but I'm asking if someone could draw a diagram or something of where to put each component on a stripboard in order for it to work

Cheers

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
No, I fully understand how a stripboard works but I'm asking if someone could draw a diagram or something of where to put each component on a stripboard in order for it to work

Cheers
There are no layout restraints with one exception. The .1 μF capacitor that was recommended by JMac3108 should be placed across pins 1 and 8 of the 555 as close as possible to the pins. As tshuck already said, just place the components in the most convenient location for correct electrical connection. Of course, you want the LEDs located where you can point them at the target, and you want the pot where it is accessible.

Unless you are contrained for space, just mount the 555 in the center of the stripboard and then arrange the other components around it.

I always print a copy of my schematic, and highlight each component and connection on the paper as I add it to the assembly.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
If you leave out the bypass cap there's a good chance you'll be posting on here asking why your circuit is acting strangely sometimes :D

Good design practice is to ALWAYS include bypass capacitance. Why not include it? The cost is negligible.

SublimeOrangeUK

Joined Feb 12, 2013
Hi guys, thank you for all your help but literally all I'm asking, since im a bit of a noob, is a drawing/picture of where I should put each compnent on a copper stripboard

Thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Place the components where ever you please.

It would be helpful for you to make a sketch on a piece of paper showing the layout of your components. This way you can move them around before you begin soldering.

I would put the resistors and capacitors close to where they connect to a specific pin on the IC.

I like to reserve two rails for power and ground. Sometimes it makes life easier if I put a pair of PWR and GND above the IC (above pins 1 and 8) and another pair below the IC (below pins 4 and 5).

Then I run a solid wire to connect the two PWR rails and a second solid wire to connect the two GND rails. Then it is easy to solder a 0.1μF filter capacitor and a 10μF electrolytic capacitor.

There must be a thousand ways to layout a 555 timer circuit. Here is just one of them:

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Some off topic. But I like to use a 3.5 mm HSS drill bit to cut trace in a clean way. If you get a new and sharp one. You can just use some light pressure, and your fingers to turn it