Help with building an air coil

circuitfreak2000

Joined Apr 7, 2015
Hi guys, I would like to try to build this 555 metal detector circuit for fun.

Would it be possible to replace the 10mH choke with a DIY air core?

I used an air coil calculator to figure out how to get 10mH and it seems
this might work according to the calculator:

Diameter: 5cm
Turns: 10
Length: 0.2cm

this results in a perfect 10.0 microhenries, would this air coil work?

Thanks for your help.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

10 mH is 10 mili Henry and not 10 micro Henry(wich would be written as 10 μH) , there is a difference of a factor 1000 X.

Bertus

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A 10mH air coil will be huge...

Most metal detectors use coils that resonates at ~1MegaHz (MHz); the 555 circuit pictured above resonates at ~1kHz (also a 1000:1 difference)

circuitfreak2000

Joined Apr 7, 2015
I did find another circuit which works at 104khz and uses two 34uH air coils. This circuit doesn't use a 555, instead only transistors. It looks like these coils will be much easier to make ;)

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I played with trying to make a metal detector once. I have to admit, up font, that I never got it working to my satisfaction.

The pick-up coil was wound on a reel that had held SMD resistors. The circuit used 2 CD4046 PLL chips -- one for the oscillator going to the coil and the other as a FM detector. The coil needs to use large wire to get the resistance low otherwise the Q will be too low. Other details escape me right now...

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Build an oscillator that runs about +-1Khz from a strong local AM broadcast station. Wind the pick-up coil to make the oscillator run at that frequency. Get a portable AM transistor radio that tunes aforementioned AM station. Tune in the station. Tune the oscillator to get a nice beat note in the radio (the AM station frequency +-1KHz).

Whenever the pick-up coil gets near anything that changes its inductance, it pulls the oscillator, which changes the beat note in the speaker. Very sensitive way of building a metal detector.

e.g. say the radio station is on 1160kHz (1.160MHz). Build the oscillator so that it runs at 1159kHz or 1161kHz. That makes the beat a nice audible 1oooHz.