Help with audio reciever repair

ArthurMack

Joined Sep 18, 2013
I am new, and I do not have much experience with audio electronic repair. I was hoping someone on this forum could assist me with figuring out my issue?

I have a Pioneer VSX-402 stereo receiver, and recently it overheated because a running laptop was put on its cooking vents while it was running. It will play music, but only to a certain volume then a loud clicking sound is heard whenever a bass sound comes in.. Much like the sound of an electric starter on a gas grill. It will not so past this volume level.

I was thinking something needs re-soldering, but I am not sure. Help please.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I doubt very much a solder joint failed. You have to reach about 240C temp to get solder to soften up and most things in electronics die long before that is reached.

Electrolytic caps fail often in older equipment.

It will play music, but only to a certain volume then a loud clicking sound is heard whenever a bass sound comes in..
That symptom could be caused by a cap since bass notes draw high peak currents. It could also be a lot of other things. There could be a problem in the power supply.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This stereo receiver will have auxiliary inputs.

1) Does the problem occur on both channels? If not what happens if you swop the speakers over?

2) Does it occur on all inputs?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
There are TO-3 pkg. transistors on large heatsinks, in the final speaker drive circuitry of the amp... Those would not react well to overheating... other smaler chips or v-regs / capacitors would not appreciate it either...

You just may have an electronic boat-anchor...

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I have been looking at the service manual for a pioneer amp with this type number.

It is significantly more sophisticated than you suggested, being six channel with a fan exhausting at the back.

Is yours like this?