Help with another project

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012
I need to ID this chip, it controls a stepper motor. The two left most (top and bottom, four pins total) are routed to the stepper motor. I know it has numbers on it, but I google them and get garbage...

Any ideas? Its the 161xxxxx chip

Last edited:

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012

Maybe this will help? If not, I'll just make my own circuit for a stepper motor. and hack it in. The circuit will need a to take an analog signal of 0-5v and convert that into a position of 180 degrees (0v) to 0 degreed (5v). Any links to circuit designs that would help would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks a again

Last edited:

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012
ok, looks like I'm going to hard wire another controller to the motor. What would be the cheapest all-in-one solution? Do they sell a small programmable controller? The motor is very small and will have very little load.

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012
I saw that. I really don't know a single thing about designing a circuit for a stepper motor. I'm reading as much as I can to figure it out. It looks like I need a microcontroller that will let me convert my analog signal to a digital, and then write code to control a stepper motor driver. I would really like everything on one board, where I can connect my analog sensor, flash my code, and wire the motor. I might end up doing this several times so I am interested in a quick and easy solution at this point.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Last edited:

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to go to radioshack and buy a microcontroller and start playing around with it.

What do you think they mean by this? "Inputting pulse train F(scx) at the end of frequency control of the Driver IC can make the output shaft of the stepper motor to rotate by micro-steps."

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
What do you think they mean by this? "Inputting pulse train F(scx) at the end of frequency control of the Driver IC can make the output shaft of the stepper motor to rotate by micro-steps."
I'm thinking this phrase was possibly poorly translated. :) Where is it from??

Micro-stepping means making the motor step in even smaller steps than normally attainable when you fully energize the coils.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor#Microstepping

I'm going to go to radioshack and buy a microcontroller and start playing around with it.
You're probably in a hurry to get started.
If you're interested look at the TI MPS430 Launchpad.
I was given the tip here. Ordered some for $4.35 each from Digi-Key.
Not Here Yet:confused: Snow..Snow.. Snow

Last edited:

eyik66

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Ok, I've got my TI MPS430. Waiting for my separate driver for the stepper motor. I was wondering though, the current requirements for such a small motor can't be much, any chance I can run it right from the MPS430?

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
I've recently received the MPS430 but won't be digging in 'til after the holidays...

But, I would always use an interface driver and protection diodes if needed when powering an external load such as a motor or relay - just to be safe.