Help with amplifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by somewhereinusa, Oct 5, 2013.

1. somewhereinusa

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2012
    Real new here. I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, if not I apologize.I'm working on an old Newcomb amp. I'm pretty sure that all that is wrong with it is a bad transformer. I've done much searching and can't seem to find what I need. I've posted a wiring diagram and a picture of the transformer here. Electronics I'm pretty sure I need 45v, but that's all I have been able to determine.I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find a supplier for this kind of transformer, perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing?

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What makes you think the transformer is bad?

3. somewhereinusa

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2012
    The input and output windings are shorted

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I would have though a transformer that size should not be a problem, Hammond are one of the largest manuf. for small transformers, also try DigiKey.
    You may have to change the Ind. lamp set up or voltage?
    Max.

5. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually you need about 33 to 34 volts for the transformer secondary. The FWB DC output is approximately the peak AC voltage minus diode drops.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You don't need an exact replacement. I would ignore the lamp requirement and worry about that later. I would think a transformer with 36VAC output should work.