Help with alternating relays

firebat45

Joined Aug 13, 2014
What I'm trying to do is create a circuit with a single momentary button, when pressed will close relay 1, and when released relay 1 opens. When pressed again, this time relay 2 closes, and then opens on release. Then back to 1, etc.

I've searched here and on google, everything I find is about latching the relays with a momentary switch, that's not what I'm looking for. It would be great if someone could give me a pointer here. Being able to alternate back and forth between the two would be great, and being able to expand to 3 or more relays would be even better, but it's not necessary for this project.

Thanks!

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
There have been other threads about ratchet relays.

They will do the same. Just run power from the button thru relay contacts to the load.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I believe an Alternating Relay is just an alternate action relay. He wants two or more relays to be sequential. For that the CD4017 counter is a good solution as DD suggested. Of course it will need a debounce circuit at the PB output and likely buffer output transistors to drive the relay coils.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here's how you could do it.
U1 is a dual flip-flop. U1a provides a switch de-bounce function. U1b toggles between two states. Holding the button pressed will energise either relay (depending on which state U1b is in) until the button is released. Standby current is negligible.
What load are you intending to control with the relays? Perhaps M1 and M2 could control it directly, thus avoiding the need for relays.

Attachments

firebat45

Joined Aug 13, 2014
Thanks everyone for your help. crutschow was right, the alternating relay just switches from load A to load B with the button, I need something more along the lines of the dual flip-flop or decade counter design. I think I'll try the counter, being able to expand to more than 2 might be helpful in the future.