Help with a simple cap and resistor circuit...

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
In the circuit in the picture attached, why is there between nodes 1 and 2, i.e. the resistor?

But there is a voltage between 1 and 3.

I'm sure this is so simple that I am looking foolish here...

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We do not know why the resistor is included in the circuit. That is not material to the existence of a voltage between node 1 and 3. 1 is the positive voltage from the source, the other (3) is ground. The voltage source's negative terminal is common to ground so the full source voltage has to appear between nodes 1 & 3.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010

It is the conditions of your transient response that are causing the confusion I think.
You needed to change your startup conditions to starting voltages at 0.

You also wanted to reduce your timebase so that you see the interesting bits easier.

dsp_redux

Joined Apr 11, 2009
To add a little something, capacitors act like open circuits in DC. With that in mind, you now see that there is no voltage drop on the resistor since there are no return path to ground (open circuit). Your node 3 is the same as ground, so voltage between 1 and 3 is the same as 1 and 0 hence 10V.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Same circuit but change the Voltage Source Advanced Settings.

Send it pulsing DC Square Wave (0 rise and Fall Times) and do a transient response.

You should also see try a Constant Current Source for Comparison to the Voltage Source.

That will give you a triangle wave.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Potato Pudding,

I've tried to get this simulation but I don't think I am getting it right. I am getting the same graphs as before.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Might be easier to see if using -5 and +5 for the values of current or and -250and +250 voltage. If you are only swinging to ground you see get a stairway increase.

If you widen the timebase on the pulses you can see the charging and discharging more clearly. With a narrow pulse the voltage and current seem pretty similar but they are very different.

And is there a way to upload files to the site the way pictures are?

I checked the link for your LTspice attachment and saw that it was located on site.

I wanted to upload my changed version and saw that it says I can add attachments in my profile but I've missed the how or where.