Help with a GLCD display

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by xbox hacker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. xbox hacker

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am looking to start a new project with a Graphic LCD display. I want to use a serial connection to free up pins on my PIC and possibly remotely mount the GLCD, and running 3-4 line can be done with a phone cord. My problem is cost for a serial module. So i thought i might try to make my own. So i looked on ebay for a display and i found one that is pretty cheap..$ 14.00 Blue BL/Whit letters.

So i looked at the data sheet here:

Pin 15 is for SERIAL/PARALLEL SELECTION ... So if i am right, i can select serial and i dont need D0-D7 pins connected to my PIC, they are 8-bit parallel line. I can use a serial connection or I2C. This would greatly lower the number of pins need from my PIC to run the GLCD....also i am using Proton PICBasic.

So my question is how to interface the GLCD with serial signal form my PIC? How do i connect the pic to the GLCD??

Thank You!! :D
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Try this link:
    That's the 2nd part. Click on the "2-Wire LCD Interface" link to get the background.

You will sacrifice a great deal of speed by using a serial interface. It will also cost you in terms of uC memory due to the additional code required.
  3. xbox hacker

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanx Sgt , but i think that one you are referring too is for Alph LCD, i want to use a graphic LCD......