Help with 7 segment LED

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is a standard LED in a specialized package. Try using 1K resistors on the anodes and power it up with a 9V battery. There are chips meant to drive them (using resistors to prevent the chip and LED from burning out). Basically these chips convert BCD (binary coded decimal) to numbers for these displays.

How much do you know about LEDs?

snake126

Joined Dec 15, 2010
It is a standard LED in a specialized package. Try using 1K resistors on the anodes and power it up with a 9V battery. There are chips meant to drive them (using resistors to prevent the chip and LED from burning out). Basically these chips convert BCD (binary coded decimal) to numbers for these displays.

How much do you know about LEDs?

The more I think about it, it doesnt even have to change randomly. Is there a way to just be able to flip a switch, the display powers up and have it wired to show something that isnt a letter or number? something that could be percieved as "alien" is what I am getting at.

If you could show me how to do this or point me in the right direction it would be awesome :)

Thanks for your help

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The more I think about it, it doesnt even have to change randomly. Is there a way to just be able to flip a switch, the display powers up and have it wired to show something that isnt a letter or number? something that could be percieved as "alien" is what I am getting at.

If you could show me how to do this or point me in the right direction it would be awesome :)

Thanks for your help
Snake126, Could you be more specific in the help you need. For example do you need help with getting the parts, placing the parts on a proto board, soldering etc.
K7elp60

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just as an aside, it's usually easier to deal with common anode 7 segment displays rather than common cathode displays; as most drivers are designed to sink rather than source current. The displays you're looking at are common cathode.