Help with 12v-5v Buck Converters

Spades45

Joined Oct 7, 2014
so i bought 3x 12v-5v buck converters, not knowing anything about electricity/wiring and thinking it would be a simple plug and play solution. apparently i was incorrect.

the buck converters look like the picture below, except one of them has two USB ports instead of one. the reason is i need 4 USB ports to provide 6 amps total - 2 amps each for 2 devices, and 1 amp each for an additional 2 devices. according to the specs, each converter can provide 3 amps peak and 2 amps stable power.

is there any way i can wire all 3 converters to my car battery and have them reliably deliver the power that I need? thanks in advance

Spades45

Joined Oct 7, 2014
i am worried about whether either of these two posts are relevant with my setup.

Almost all the buck converters you may be looking at (China..Ebay ?) do not have isolated outputs, so, as you have said, you CANNOT connect them in series.
Your post #1 says you want to connect the inputs in parallel, but the outputs in series. That cannot be done on buck converters, you must have SMPS converters with ISOLATED outputs to do that.
although now after reading them i am pretty sure they are not. since they are all going to be wired directly to the ignition they are wired in parallel. and since the outputs are separate USB connectors, they are isolated, correct?