Help Wiring Wireless Momentary Relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ljcool, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ljcool

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Hi, I don't have a whole lot of experience with circuitries so I'm asking for help. I'm planning on purchasing a wireless momentary relay to power on my pc. I have found one that seems to fit the bill. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12v-10A-...rol-Switch-Transmitter-Receiver-/221283333405. However, it doesn't have a wiring diagram for dc, only for ac. [​IMG]
    I figured I could use a 23A battery for the DC 12V, but how should I install positive and negative wires for the pc power switch? Should positive go to live and negative go to neutral?

2. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    The terminals on the right connect to the module's power supply, whereas the terminals on the left are switched by the relay... If you will be switching DC the positive side of the PC switch should go to Line(L) and the Negative side to Neutral(N)...

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    ljcool likes this.
  3. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    Yes, and I'm particularly concerned with the left. It shows an AC diagram but I need to wire a DC on it because I will be connecting that part to my Motherboard's power terminal. Should I just substitute the live wire with positive and neutral with negative?

4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    The module will switch either AC or DC please re-read my previous post for details (It has been [subsequently] edited)

Best regards
    HP

5. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    Oh, I'm sorry. I failed to see your edit. But it's good to know it's that simple. Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try once the wireless relay arrives.

6. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    You're welcome! Have fun:D

7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
  8. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    since your pc has a dc power switch, the internal power supply has a section that keeps power on part of the motherboard. maybe you could use that to power the reciever.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The LH side is just a simple switch contact, so it is capable of switching AC or DC, in your case you want to retain the method it is sent in, which is momentary, (non-latched).
    The LH output side just replace, or is in parallel to the internal P.B. switch in the PC.
    Max.

10. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    I have thought of that but I couldn't figure out how.

11. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the power supply should be marked with its output connections, most modern supplies have a small supply built in for the "wake on lan" function, and to supply dc for the on button.

12. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    Thanks Max. It is Momentary out of the box which is good. So I guess I'll just replace the lines out.

13. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    I'll try to look into that and see what I can find. All I know is how to short the PSU to make it start without a motherboard.

14. ljcool

Apr 9, 2015
    As I've found out, the stand by power provided by the PSU when the PC is turned off is not enough to supply for the wireless receiver. It only supplies 5V while the receiver needs 12V. That 5V is routed to the CMOS and RTC and the CR2032 battery takes over when the PSU is unplugged or the power strip or UPS it is connected to is turned off. I guess I'll just stick to powering the receiver with an A23 battery. Thanks again!