Help wireless push button switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by maryrose0911, Nov 4, 2014.

1. maryrose0911

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi. We're designing an automatic pop-up and collapsible tent as part of our design project. We need help on how to create a push button that will trigger the tent to automatically pop-up/collapse. We are still thinking on its structure but as of now, we really need help on the switch. Scenario: Let's say I'm 3 meters away from the tent. Once I press the push button, the tent must pop-up. We need ideas. Help. Thanks in advance.

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Biting my tongue hard on the notion of an "automatic pop-up tent" and just addressing the question regarding a remote push button, the widely accepted approach for short range comms is Bluetooth. You can buy bluetooth "buttons" (google it) or you could just use a smart phone app. On the tent end you would most likely have a bluetooth module connected to a small microprocssor (PIC or Arduino) that then controlls what ever valves, motors, etc, you need to "pop" the tent.

3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    You can buy an 315MHz key fob transmitter with a matching receiver on EBay for a few $.

4. maryrose0911

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Thanks for your ideas. Regarding its feasibility, do you think its possible? Thank you. We just have 4 months to construct it and hopefully everything will work out.

5. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Is what feasible, the push button or the tent? The push button yes, the tent well...

There are plenty of pop-up tents out there, the problem with them all is that they may be easy to put up but are not easy to put down. As for "Automatic" what is the target market? I can see that you might get something going aimed at people who want a big tent on a campsite with a power supply but for smaller tents you need to think about the energy requirement for putting it up.

6. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Make an inflatable structure - turn on a blower to inflate it.

7. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Inflatable tents have been around since at least the 1970's, there was an Igloo tent which my mate had back then but IIRC it was only single skin. For the last couple of years Vango have been selling the "Airbeam" which I have seen on campsites but doesn't look great in windy conditions.

You are still looking at a reasonable sized battery or a mains power to inflated it and I cannot see the advantage of a remote push-button if you have to unpack the tent and hook up a power supply. Might as well just have a gas cylinder and a pull cord like a life raft.

What the world (or at least I) really need is an automatic "tent" that fixes to the rear door of an estate/hatchback. The key requirements for this would be
    • Fits a wide range of cars (don't want to buy a new one when I change car)
    • Quick up and down with a single click. It's easy to imagine something semi permanently attached inside the tailgate that inflates but the real hard challenge is to get it to pack away quickly
    • Keeps the rain off and most of the wind out of the back of the car so it needs some fairly rigid element of wrap-around
    I think there would be a small but not insignificant market amongst cyclists, walkers and other outdoors types who need to change and brew up in remote places.