Help What are these boxes & parts

BTTF Car

Joined Feb 18, 2014
Hello
Im new to this forum, I would like to say hi and ask for help.
I am rebuilding a Delorean Time Machine, yes its on an original Delorean, this is my website www.bttfcar.co.uk
I am having trouble finding out what a certain part of the interior of the car is from the movie here are the photos of it, its a black box full of bits. Does anyone actually know what it is, its from the 1980's this is the actual part from the movie car.
if not can anyone help me with the parts inside, i know the transistors from welco, but can'ts find the heat sink plates around them, or the 2 coils which look like they have a silver washer on top,
can anyone supply these parts or the part number that would look the part
many thanks for your help on this, im trying to build the car just like they did in the 80's

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The American 2N1136 can probably be substituted by the British OC36, however the A version is slightly higher voltage.

Did the Delorean have an AC supply anywhere, I know some vehicles did, and that looks like part of an inverter.

Alternatively perhaps it was part of a servomotor - these abound in luxury cars.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This site has a rule against recommending or designing automotive modifications, but I'm going to have to ask for a referee to make a ruling on time machines. If only it wasn't in a car!

BTTF Car

Joined Feb 18, 2014
The American 2N1136 can probably be substituted by the British OC36, however the A version is slightly higher voltage.

Did the Delorean have an AC supply anywhere, I know some vehicles did, and that looks like part of an inverter.

Alternatively perhaps it was part of a servomotor - these abound in luxury cars.
This has nothing to do with the running of the car, its for show only, its part of the props fitted into the car to make it into a time machine like the flux capacitor, I have one of those :)
Im just wondering if anyone has ever seen this box before and where i could find them, or help me with the interal parts i can get the box made, it will not actually be connected to a power supply its just for show

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It depends. I have seen a banned thread about putting lights in the trunk of a car that only had tires on it so they could get it on the trailer to go to the next show. If you are going to travel to 1886...that's why I'm not a moderator. :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It looks like two pairs of power transistors from the late 1970s. This configuration is common on reversible motor controllers. Opening and closing doors, for example. Something like that, in a box, is not just for visual effect.

If you want to rebuild it to all of its 1980s glory, we will need some photos of the other side so we can hack together a schematic.

If your goal is to make a box that looks like your original, then that is easy, I have a box full of transistors the size of those (big and the little one nestles between the pair of little ones in the center of the board. They can also be purchased for about $5 each from major online retailers or eBay.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
For what it's worth, I have worked on Deloreans before and do not recall such a device located anywhere in the car. There are only (to my knowledge) three companies in the United States who even carry parts (original) for this car anymore and not even sure they are still around. If so, they will have wiring diagrams for the car and you will probably find no such device on those diagrams.Where was this box located in the car and what was it hooked up to, any ideas?
Also, I do not believe this is an old ignition module from AC Delco. The first ignition module was HEI and was a black plastic coated module which sat inside the distributor.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This has nothing to do with the running of the car, its for show only, its part of the props fitted into the car to make it into a time machine like the flux capacitor, I have one of those :)
Im just wondering if anyone has ever seen this box before and where i could find them, or help me with the interal parts i can get the box made, it will not actually be connected to a power supply its just for show
So, this is an actual prop car from the actual movie? If so, that could be be anything the prop artists decided to slap on there. Didn't that car have a blender mounted to the top of it? Is it still there? This could be could the control unit out of a 1975 trash compactor. If you don't know what it is or what it does or what it doesn't, why not just put it back together and put it back where you found it? Was it actually connected to any wires of the car? When you removed it, did something stop working? Was there something not working already? If everything worked before you removed it, and everything still works now, then what are we talking about? If you figure out what those components are and replace them, will/how will you know if it's working?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's not an ignition module or OEM automotive part.

However it does look commercially designed.

Since it was used in the original props my guess is a commercially designed 12v light flasher unit to be added to cars.

Probably a dual (alternate) flasher unit, as were once used on police cars to alternate red and blue lights before they changed to the modern multi-flash ones.

BTTF Car

Joined Feb 18, 2014
These boxes have never been part of a Delorean car, they where added by the prop builder who made the time machine for the original movie, they do nothing what so ever in the car, they just sit there. These are the original ones in the photo which are still on the original movie car, im building a replica car and would like to find out what these boxes where before the prop makers stuck them on the car, if i cant find out what they are i will have some boxes made but what i am really after knopwing is what are the parts inside, i know the transistors as they have there numbers on them, what im looking for is the brakets holding the set of transisots down the seem to be a redish colour with a white mark on top, also the 2 coil things in the middle, if someone has these parts im happy to buy 2nd hand ones even if they dont work as these boxes will be built just for show and not wired to a power supply
as for a flux capacitor i have a fully working one of them
the mr fusion was a german coffee grinder that is also already fitted to the car
here is a picture of my car

many thanks
steven

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you post pics of the underside of that unit and perhaps end shots to show the outside of the sockets on the right? Is there any labeling on those sockets or jacks?

BTTF Car

Joined Feb 18, 2014
There are no more photos of these black boxes sorry, these is a fuse holder on the end and you can see the back side of it inside the box, these are the only know photos to be taken of the parts from the original movie car, they could have come from military aircraft or something simular. alot of the parts used in the props was from aircraft surplus. im more interested in finding the parts inside the box as i canget the boxes remade, that coil item and the holders/heat sinks for the transistors are the main things i cant find. if anyone can supply them im happy to purcased used parts as they would be vintage and have the right look to them thank you